Faber Galvanized LP85 cylinder buoyancy characteristics question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I interchange the painted Faber LP85s and my PST HP100s. What I have noticed is with the Fabers the tails will get ever so slightly light toward the end of the dive. But, it is not to the point that I totally change my rigging from dive 1 with the PSTs to dive 2 with the Fabers.

I dive mostly fresh water and Faber 85s are my favorite tank. With my DST+TX50 attached they are 5lbs in water with 500 PSI in the tank. I haven't weighed them full. I can clip them in the middle of my hip and they don't hang to low or get so light I feel I need to move them by the end of the dive. And that's with 45% mix in them.

For contrast, I have to start my LP108s tail clipped and move them nearly to the crotch D ring by the end to keep trim. I usually have 60% mix in them though.

Doby45 & jvogt,.... that was the info I was looking for. How they behave full vs near empty, Thank you.. I will be diving freshwater cave, in a drysuit with them in systems where my rebreather won't fit. I am asking the question, because what is on paper & what is real life, can be worlds apart.

For contrast, I have to start my LP108s tail clipped and move them nearly to the crotch D ring by the end to keep trim. I usually have 60% mix in them though.

60% he in twin 108s. My wallet hurts just thinking about that...

Doby45 & jvogt,.... that was the info I was looking for. How they behave full vs near empty, Thank you.. I will be diving freshwater cave, in a drysuit with them in systems where my rebreather won't fit. I am asking the question, because what is on paper & what is real life, can be worlds apart.

For a reference point with a drysuit I use a 4.5 ish tail weight on the lp85's. It's a cast lead v weight that fits over the bottom bolt and hides between the tanks, keeps my butt down. Enjoy!

I haven't used the painted ones. I have always used Worthingtons.
Buoyancy swing is strictly based on air capacity.

Not sure what you are trying to say here, but LP85 worthingtons are more negative than LP85 Faber, ...at the same given pressure.
Buoyancy swing, the difference between the buoyancy of the tank when it is full and empty is the weight of the air it holds.

the tails on the Faber's are going to float up when empty or with a high He mix

You don't find Worthington 85's too heavy? I have a set that I use for my trimix tanks and it still feels like I strapped on 100 lbs of lead. If they weren't filled with helium I wouldn't be able to dive them.at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom