Faber 117 vs 133

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Auradeus,I recommend the bigger tanks. If you don't like them, I'd be happy to swam for two of my 117's that are a year old and have just been VIP'ed.Can you elaborate on the trim issue you are facing. It sounds surprising to me that the longer tanks would lift your feet. I would have expected the opposite.
Since I paid full retail for these tanks, the cost to ship and swap our tanks wouldn't be worth it. I searched for steel 117s for months on Craig's list. You should be able to easily sell your tanks. It's a seller's market for tanks, at least in MA it is. To answer your question on trim, toward the end of the dive with the 133, my feet begin to elevate. I am wearing the tank as high up as my bcd's positioning strap (not sure what it's called, the strap you put on first to set the height) will allow because it's the only way I can sit down due to the tank's length (which is a concern as this indicates the 133 may be too long for me). I am wearing an 8/7 semi dry exposure suit with a Scubapro Nighthawk back inflated bcd. I wear 10 pounds in each pouch (6 and 4 pounders in each pocket, 4 pounders forward) and 1.5 ankle weights on each ankle. Total of 23 pounds. That wasn't enough weight because toward the end of my dive, even with bcd fully deflated, I was slightly positively buoyant (it was a shallow dive though, 17 feet toward the end). I'm leaning toward the 117s because of the 133's heaviness, the length on my torso which makes sitting difficult, and the fact that I need to "shrug" the 133's to carry them (with the 117's I can carry them by dangling my arms at my sides). I feel like I will miss the volume of the 133's at first but when I improve my air management, will become less of an issue. Comfort and ease of transport is somewhat of a priority since I usually do shore dives, sometimes with a bit of a walk needed. Also, while deep diving is not in my immediate plans, if I do start doing deep dives, I feel like twin 117's are more reasonable than twin 133's.

I have twin LP95s which are the same size as the 117s and twin 133s the larger tanks are nice to dive but the 133s are noticeably heavier when moving around the garage.

P2110977.jpg

133 is 3,7 m3 ... that mean this is 18 lit@220bar ? ...and FABER my was 19,5 kg empty and around 23,5-24,0 full ?

i have constantly problems with my 3 Fabers ..... boilers (problems was too big buoyancy difference of 4-4,5 kg

other have two 15lit /200bar fabers were empty 17,0 kg each (without valves )!

Looks like diving with anchor .......but in that time i didn't know real problems

so i have sell all of them and go on twins ECS 2*12 lit (both empty are only 1,5 kg negative! and very slim )

check yours UK Scuba - Cylinder Buoyancy Calculation

or Faber Industrie
-------------------------------------------------------------------
IMO for me is most important buoyancy ratio (empty /full )

Last edited:
Unless you are planning on doubling up the tanks in the near future, dive both tanks for a while and see which you like best. I doubt you would have a problem swapping out one tank and matching the other later on if you were so inclined.

I'm a mechanic, but I own more than one size hammer; I have my favorite but I use them all, as needed.

Bob

Since I paid full retail for these tanks, the cost to ship and swap our tanks wouldn't be worth it. I searched for steel 117s for months on Craig's list. You should be able to easily sell your tanks. It's a seller's market for tanks, at least in MA it is. To answer your question on trim, toward the end of the dive with the 133, my feet begin to elevate. I am wearing the tank as high up as my bcd's positioning strap (not sure what it's called, the strap you put on first to set the height) will allow because it's the only way I can sit down due to the tank's length (which is a concern as this indicates the 133 may be too long for me). I am wearing an 8/7 semi dry exposure suit with a Scubapro Nighthawk back inflated bcd. I wear 10 pounds in each pouch (6 and 4 pounders in each pocket, 4 pounders forward) and 1.5 ankle weights on each ankle. Total of 23 pounds. That wasn't enough weight because toward the end of my dive, even with bcd fully deflated, I was slightly positively buoyant (it was a shallow dive though, 17 feet toward the end). I'm leaning toward the 117s because of the 133's heaviness, the length on my torso which makes sitting difficult, and the fact that I need to "shrug" the 133's to carry them (with the 117's I can carry them by dangling my arms at my sides). I feel like I will miss the volume of the 133's at first but when I improve my air management, will become less of an issue. Comfort and ease of transport is somewhat of a priority since I usually do shore dives, sometimes with a bit of a walk needed. Also, while deep diving is not in my immediate plans, if I do start doing deep dives, I feel like twin 117's are more reasonable than twin 133's.

I dive the same BCD,. How much weight are you putting in your trim pouches? When I dive a 7mm wetsuit I use 22lbs, 9 in my drop pouch and 2 lbs. in the trim pouch on each side. I dive with a HP100, I'm 6'1" 255lbs and fairly barrel chested. Normally I will dive a 3/2mm or a 5mm wetsuit and I do not have any trim issues and that's with wearing heavy duty 6.5mm zip up boots.

I went with the HP 100 because it was slightly smaller than a AL80 but gave me more air to match the bottom times of the people I normally dive with. It also allowed me to drop an average of 4lbs out of my weight pouches so I no longer get floaty during or near the end of my dives. My SAC rate still sucks ( .55 - .66 cu. ft/ min depending on activity level) but I love the tanks I have. Staying shallow I easily get over the 1 hour mark for dive time, and depending on the dive profile I can get 30 - 45 minutes going deeper. ( 60 - 90ft )

If you ever get down to Dutch Springs in PA and want to try a HP 100 for a few dives to see if you like the fit better I'll meet ya there with my tanks.

To get back on topic I would get the 133's and learn to make them work for you.

Back
Top Bottom