Extremely BAD News: Dutch Springs likely closing permanently ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are quite a few quarries filled with water in that general area. North of and around Nazareth, PA. Perhaps someone should take a look? Chapman quarry.. there are others.

Are any of them heated?

There are quite a few quarries filled with water in that general area. North of and around Nazareth, PA. Perhaps someone should take a look? Chapman quarry.. there are others.
Economics and logistics are just so awful. It’s just not worth it.

Curious, I have to wonder if they figured out the cost of filling and redirecting the spring to be a bit high.

Curious, I have to wonder if they figured out the cost of filling and redirecting the spring to be a bit high.
Apparently, there was some concern about closing a facility used as a training platform for first responders. That sort of publicity is never welcome. Especially when the plan is for warehouses. Not a school, hospital, or other community use. Warehouses.

I've never been there, but I wonder the viability of the 120+/- spaces for users and staff. What were the typical numbers there when it was under "normal" operations? Can any of this be financially survivable?

I've never been there, but I wonder the viability of the 120+/- spaces for users and staff. What were the typical numbers there when it was under "normal" operations? Can any of this be financially survivable?

Way more SCUBA parking than that before, but a good bit of that was 100yds+ to the water on the non-"Student" side.

"Student" (east) side was a parking free-for-all with spots that ranged from almost fall in the water to up the hill by the east bathhouse.

"Peninsula" (north/middle) waterside parking was restricted to "pros" on weekends - everybody else had to park at the top of the hill or behind the concession stand/west bathhouse with the aqua-park hoi polloi. My guess is that those parking ares are considered development zone.

A big factor in viability will be the debt, tax, and insurance carry costs.

If the quarry and parking are parceled off, the tax valuation should be able to be made pretty low since it has limitied uses or even made into "open" or "preserved" space. Another option would be to bring it into municipal or county ownership and then have it operated by a concessionaire for $0 in property taxes. Obviously government cooperation helps here in cutting the taxes. Since Trammel Crow doesn't want the quarry, it can be "encouraged" to donate it to the govt. or to some land-holding trust (for a write-off) or worst case a very low $$ sale which minimizes debt cost.

Insurance will be more complex and will depend on the holding structure, but adding it to a county portfolio might be optimal due to the volume and umbrella aspect.

If they eliminate concessions and all but minimal service staff, the labor costs can be minimized. Existing safety staff is mostly pro-volunteers anyway. [I've been informed (below) that this was incorrect]

It was a great deal at $250ish/season for unlimited access.

Interesting concept of a Municipally owned and "lease" to operate (including concession stands).... Golf Course here and a Marina are done that way..... At the State level... Also doing that with the interstate service facilities...

Back
Top Bottom