Extend Air scrubber cartridges ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I have used the cartrages and I do like them. I mainly use them in either the pool or in warm water. I do most of my diving in the Great Lakes so I am not 100% convinced on them in cold water yet. I am waiting for the test results on the cartrages at 32 degrees. If those are good then I will probably use them all the time

Thought I'll never get an answer ...

It seems like such a good idea. Also like a pretty expensive one. The cartridges cost more than a normal fill. Add to that less efficiency, at least on the Dräger. They say 2hrs, that 50% less than the US-rated duration of the stock scrubber/Divesorb. And the US rating is very conservative, in Europe, the Middle East and Australia Dräger/Aqualung states 4hrs. scrubbertime. So half the duration for more money, doesn't sound good to me. Yet after seeing them at dive shows, I like the design (ease of use/handling) a lot.

I'm curious how the Inspiration version will turn out ... .

caveseeker7 once bubbled...
They say 2hrs, that 50% less than the US-rated duration of the stock scrubber/Divesorb.

I was chatting with a Dräger diver the other day, and the recommended duration for a fill is now 2 hours (as taught in class). Unknown if this is unique to a single training agency or not. (I'm in the US).

And I was told less than na hour ago by a TDI certified diver here in CA that in his course it was 4 hrs. :confused:

Easier in Europe, Dräger put out a press release in regards to that subject:

In Europe (incl. Egypt) new srubber times are valid (Divesorb) for Dräger Rebreathers, messured at a breathing volume of 30 Liters/min:
Dolphin (2,25kg scrubber): increased from 3 to 4 hrs.
DrägerRay (1,125kg scrubber): increased from 70 to 110 minutes

That's from the German Dräger/Aqualung site.
So even considering the stupid liability laws in the US, 2hrs. seems ridiculous. Unless you use the optional spacer ...

caveseeker7 once bubbled...
Has anybody tried these cartridges out?
Any thoughts? Any experience with them?
They're supposed to come for the Inspiration, too.

http://www.extendair.com/

Caveseeker7, et al,

I saw the new internal cartridge for the ExtendAir element made to fit the Inspiration at the the last DEMA. I asked the rep what the duration on the new set-up would be. When he told me that it would be two (2) hours, I almost laughed. He seemed hurt when I asked him why, in Heaven's name, would I want to spend more money to get LESS duration than I currently have? :confused:

It is important to note that these catridges are also subject to greater time usage, before breakdown, based on water temperature.

The sales rep for Extendair told me that some customers are reporting 6-8 hour durations in 80 degree water. He said tests were going to be performed so they can verify this and thus update the durations based on water temp.

He also stated that they always stick to saying 2 hours because they know that works..until further documentation comes out he does not recommend anything over 2 hours.

What I want to know is, these people who say they are getting 6-8 hours usage time...how do they get to this point? Do they use it in like 10 feet of water with someone right at their side in case breakthrough happens? I wouldnbt want to be the person trying that out......

Before I bought anything like this I would need some kind of proof on duration. Without testing I would'nt trust it for 6min let alone 6 hours. Those people definately are taking their lives in their own hands. Without definative testing and results from a trusted source, any times are merly speculation.

If you dive your scrubber for 6 hours and live does that mean the scrubber has a 6 hour duration? No it means you were lucky.

Interetsing that people think that warm water extends scrubber duration so much

Interesting aside, Martin Parker on Staurday was giving out some rare info on the inspiration, which as you know was tested at DERA to CE specs at 4C and was rated at a 3 hour duration. He said that it was also subjected to the same test at 25C and the duration was only extended by 18mins (yep, not much at all), hence they didn't bother with a new rating for warm water. So all those who think they can get hours longer cos its not the UK, think again:wacko:

I looked at their site and must say I'm not impressed. You have to understand that all these units being sold were tested and retested. I noticed that you have to modify a rb to use their canister. What alot of people dont understand is that when you begin doing unapproved mods to your unit, you have essentially negated all the testing and diving done on the unit. You are now a test pilot. It is hard enough to maintain strict standards and abide by the manufacturers recommendations without throwing in a slew of unknowns.

Stick with what has been proven to work and the manufacturers published duration!

http://www.extendair.com/lit/liability.html

read #9

"I understand that using an ExtendAir CO2 adsorbent for a time period longer than stipulated by the rebreather manufacturer or otherwise failing to follow any instructions relating to the operation or use of the rebreather or the ExtendAir CO2 adsorbents may result in substantially increased risk of injury or death to myself."

notice the keywords, rebreather manufacturer.

I hav'nt been able to find any published data on any of the manufacturers websites. If I'm wrong please post links.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom