Exposure Suits for training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like stated earlier, the panhandle springs are 68F year round. I understand some of the more southern springs can be around 78F as well. People do teach cave in the panhandle.

I'm not sure I understand your point. That the water in the panhandle may be cooler only makes my point stronger.
icon_wink.gif

As I said, I wear a multi-layer 7mm and near the end of deco after a 70-80 minute dive, I'm getting cold. After that time in the water, a single layer of 5mm would leave me shivering, but that's just me.

The OP didn't give specifics on the type of class. A cavern class may be a different issue since the dives are shorter and there's no deco. However, some instructors like to hang out on the surface to discuss the dive, so the difference could be minimal, especially if doing multiple dives over several days. Being cold just makes cave training more difficult and sucks the fun out of it. It's hard to wear too much suit.

Not argueing the comfort level portion of your post. Just that all FL springs aren't in the 71-72F range :)

My dives average in the 45-60 minute range, and do get into the 90 minute range on occasion. I do fine in a 3mm regardless :wink:

Is that a 3mm farmer john or a one piece suit?

I must be a warm water whimp...

One piece

It appears as though I'm the odd one though. When it drops into the high 50sF(river water in winter, gulf gets that cold too), I toss a 2.5mm hoodvest into the mix.

BRRRRRRRRR!!!!! In the 50s I'm in a drysuit, no matter what the air temp is!!!

One piece

It appears as though I'm the odd one though. When it drops into the high 50sF(river water in winter, gulf gets that cold too), I toss a 2.5mm hoodvest into the mix.

Matt you are a freak of nature. I'd freeze my butt off wareing my 3mm that cold. When the water and air drop below 75* it time to put the simi dry on. That seems to be good down to high 40's.

One piece

Hell, I used to live/dive/instruct out of Destin, and one year inparticular I saw a low in the Gulf of 50, but on topic you are certainly an odd one(just based on you expposure protection, or lack there of) any ways,
Cheers!
Corey

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom