Exposure Suits for training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, what is the water and air temp there? I did Cenotes in Playa with two 3mm fulls and was actually a little too hot. Of course, the SI had an air temp over 90F.

In the central Florida area, water temp is 72 degrees. In the panhandle, water temp is 68 degrees. I live and dive regularly in the panhandle. Currently, we've had air temps in the 80s, but in the winter time it does cool down to the high 50s, low 60s in the panhandle. I dove the cenotes in July with a 7/5. It was hot before and after the dive, but we were doing 90+ minute dives so it was nice to have.

I dive both dry and wet, usually dry in the winter. My wetsuit is 7mm with several layers. I would be cold in the water with just one layer of 7mm. Not sure which class you're talking about, but in a class situation, you will do several dives with some floating on the surface time. Over a couple of days, it will add up.

Just curious, what is the water and air temp there? I did Cenotes in Playa with two 3mm fulls and was actually a little too hot. Of course, the SI had an air temp over 90F.

The water temp is 70-72 degrees, year round. The air temp can be in the 30s first thing in the morning in winter. This past weekend the air temp was comfortable in the 80s.

One day last year I went over to Ginnie for some morning time stuff. Air temp was 36* getting in the water felt like a sauna. It's the getting out that suck's.

Yeah, I can see the benefit of wearing a drysuit with air temps that low.

The water temp is 70-72 degrees, year round. The air temp can be in the 30s first thing in the morning in winter. This past weekend the air temp was comfortable in the 80s.

Like stated earlier, the panhandle springs are 68F year round. I understand some of the more southern springs can be around 78F as well. People do teach cave in the panhandle.

I got out of Ginnie one winter evening and the air temp was a lovely 37 degrees. I was diving a 5mm shorty. That day convinced me to go dry. Now I am actually looking forward to cooler weather. COME ON NOVEMBER!

Hmmm....a 5mm Shorty?
Awww... Thats TOO THICK :D :rofl3:

Actually , I am waiting for cooler weather too.
And am looking at getting my (erp) Dry suit repaired.
I agree , those Cool winter days , makes getting Really nice.
It's the getting out ... :confused:

Da Bean

If any of your training takes place at Ginnie, you will be in good shape. They have heated showers in the bath houses and nothing feels better than to strip down in a warm shower, then put on some dry clothing for your surface intervals. Keep in mind that if you are really cold...warm yourself slowely. It's also nice to be able to rinse your wetsuit in warm water just prior to putting it back on.

I wear a 5/7 wetsuit with a hood attached to a vest. That really helps. I would agree though that you should try to dive with what you are familiar with for the class. There is a lot of task loading and you don't want to complicate the situation any more than you have to.

Good luck with your training!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom