Exposure protection in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yak:
I use Safe Sea regularly and every time I use it I still end up with thimble larvae stings. I think they are chemically attracted to me. :confused:
Me too .... my hubby will get 1 little sting, and I'll be covered on any exposed area ... and so far - Safe Sea hasn't sone much for me ......

Sort of on topic... please keep the suit recommendations coming. I will be in PDC/Coz at the end of the month and I am looking for an inexpensive wetsuit for the trip. I have a hood which I use with my drysuit but it sounds like I might need more neck protection for the jellies?

I was thinking 2mm or 3mm since I will be doing a cenote dive too, and they are around 70-75F, right?

We had a bunch of those little pinkish guys hanging around with us on our safety stops. Nobody got stung, but there were enough that I was really glad my family all had full suits. The divemaster in his shorty was being pretty watchful!

Good catch, Christi.. When I was there a few weeks ago, someone on our boat got stung and had to sit out the second dive. That was the afternoon that the Norte blew in and boy ,was he miserable sitting on the boat.
I always wear a 3mm and brought my hood, just because, heck it doesn't take up any space. I didn't use it on my first dive, but I was getting a little too much flooding in my wetsuit when I moved my head. So I pulled it out for dive #2. I noticed my DM also had a hood. He whispered to me, "tuck in hood so don't get stung by jellies".
This is the same hood that I wear in 50 degree weather in New York. I was perfectly comfortable given how long the dives are. Heck, if someone actually gets warm, just let some water into the suit and -voila- cools one down.
I'm coming back to Coz in July I enjoyed myself so much. Off topic- I think I'd like to stay at the Palace because I am traveling with a significant other and want more creature comforts.. Is it an Okay place for divers ?

AggieDiver:
Any idea of the "safe sea" products that are advertised to protect against thimble jelly larvae will work against these guys?
To clarify one more time, these are NOT Thimble Jellies per Christi's post above.
Fish Whisperer:
I still cast my vote for the 1mm full wetsuit, with booties and gloves. No worries.
Last time I checked, gloves are not allowed. However, finding anyone that enforces that is another question. Proceed cautiously if you use them. I concur about the skin and booties for being your best protection.
Matt S.:
I was thinking 2mm or 3mm since I will be doing a cenote dive too, and they are around 70-75F, right?
I would suggest 3mm full suit at minimum for the Cenotes. I don't easily chill but got chilled in my 3mm full suit Cenote diving back in '04. I logged 75F on all dives I did which isn't bad but there is no sun penetrating the water which I'm guessing makes it feel considerably colder than ocean dives done at 82F. Like a 70F and sunny day versus a 70F and cloudy day on land. YMMV
Matt S.:
Sort of on topic... please keep the suit recommendations coming. I will be in PDC/Coz at the end of the month and I am looking for an inexpensive wetsuit for the trip. I have a hood which I use with my drysuit but it sounds like I might need more neck protection for the jellies?
After you get that protection for your neck, what about protecting your exposed lips!?!? Seriously, this might be getting out of hand. Some exposed skin is unavoidable. Hands for one since gloves are not allowed. Going to extremes to protect any exposed skin short of taking a ride in the "submarine fish" might take to fun out of Caribbean diving. I think all attempts of protecting/covering 80-90% of exposed skin is the best approach. Personally, I'm taking this warning only to heighten my awareness of the little buggers and avoid them if possible and nothing else. I Still plan to dive my 2/3mm shortie with no hood and of course no gloves. Hopefully, I won't regreat it. :D

driftin' by:
To clarify one more time, these are NOT Thimble Jellies per Christi's post above.

After you get that protection for your neck, what about protecting your exposed lips!?!? Seriously, this might be getting out of hand. Some exposed skin is unavoidable....Going to extremes to protect any exposed skin short of taking a ride in the "submarine fish" might take to fun out of Caribbean diving. I think all attempts of protecting/covering 80-90% of exposed skin is the best approach. Personally, I'm taking this warning only to heighten my awareness of the little buggers and avoid them if possible and nothing else. :D

THANK YOU Josh for "getting it."

I was reluctant to post this because I KNEW some people would take this way overboard. It was meant to be nothing more than a "heads up" and to take proper preventative measures.

No need for anyone to be getting to worried or obsessed about this! It was intended to be a friendly heads up...not a que for panic! The only recommendation I would make is that if you HAVE a skin or a full suit, I suggest wearing that instead of a shorty or nothing...that's all!

Again, these are different than the thimble jellies and blooms of them have only appeared within the past week.

Christi:
THANK YOU Josh for "getting it."

I was reluctant to post this because I KNEW some people would take this way overboard. It was meant to be nothing more than a "heads up" and to take proper preventative measures.

No need for anyone to be getting to worried or obsessed about this! It was intended to be a friendly heads up...not a que for panic! The only recommendation I would make is that if you HAVE a skin or a full suit, I suggest wearing that instead of a shorty or nothing...that's all!

Again, these are different than the thimble jellies and blooms of them have only appeared within the past week.

You mean we aren't all going to die???..........whew! :)

I always wear a full exposure suit...probably will being a beanie hood, but seeing that I hate em, I probably won't wear it unless the jellies are so think that I can walk on em....oh gosh, I wear full fit fins, maybe I should wear booties....oh and my FFM... :wink:

Fish Whisperer:
and no one has ever said a single word to any of us about not wearing gloves or having a dive knife, or anything else
I know....
driftin' by:
However, finding anyone that enforces that is another question.

My wife has been told that they're not allowed but continues to wear them to no avail. She had a nasty run-in with some fire coral on a wreck in swift currents a few years back and insists on wearing them. I have a tendency to follow the rules/standards in hopes of setting a good example... an example for those likely to touch stuff.

Back
Top Bottom