Exposure protection in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How long will this exceptional jelly fish menace be around?

Fish_Whisperer:
Yes. They were about the diameter of a silver dollar, or the size of a yo-yo, but with lots of nasty, venemous, tentacles hanging out of their bottoms.

(Kinda' reminds of some people I've met....) LOL

Mother Nature's "situational awareness" certification class?

Yep! No cert card, but on the plus side, you get to NOT be stung! During my safety stop on a dive, one was floating quite close to me, so I turned my octo up underneath him/her/it, and hit the purge button. "Hasta-la-bye-bye, Mr. Jellyfish!"

Garrobo:
How long will this exceptional jelly fish menace be around?

???????????????? That I can't predict exactly.

Christi:
???????????????? That I can't predict exactly.

Just to clarify, this is different from the thimble jelly swarms that are pretty common this time of year, right?

ggunn:
Just to clarify, this is different from the thimble jelly swarms that are pretty common this time of year, right?

Yes, completely different. You haven't seen these jellies in Cozumel before.

Christi:
Yes, completely different. You haven't seen these jellies in Cozumel before.
Great!! A new form of torture!!! Any & all stinging jellies (especailly sea lice) manage to find me - any time of year .... and now you've got a new type??? I still have sting marks from my March trip!!!:11: If someone ever comes up with a real product to stop those suckers stinging - they'll make a fortune!!

Just got back yesterday, last weekend folks were coming out of the water in front of Caribe Blu from shore dives saying there were at least 100 jellies out there and on a safety stop I was trying to get a few photos of one swimming along with me, a couple even kinda turned out!

on this trip, with water temps around 80, I was using my usual .5 mil skin with a short sleeve surfing rash shirt under it, and occationally got a slight chill on the second dive of the day.

my wife gets cold easily, she was wearing her rash shirt, her .5 mil & a 3mil over that and was getting chilled every now and then...

...so go figure, either way put sunscreen on ALL exopsed skin, it will help defend from jelly stings, not stop 'em necessarily, but will help.

Any idea of the "safe sea" products that are advertised to protect against thimble jelly larvae will work against these guys?

AggieDiver:
Any idea of the "safe sea" products that are advertised to protect against thimble jelly larvae will work against these guys?

I use Safe Sea regularly and every time I use it I still end up with thimble larvae stings. I think they are chemically attracted to me. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom