Sea&Sea YS-D3 Mark II question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anthony77

New
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi everyone, I have a question to the fellow diver photographers, who use the Sea&Sea YS-D3 Mark II strobe/s. I've got one of these strobes and been a happy user for around a year. Recently I've got into photogrammetry, which requires some continuous strobe firings.

My usage example is the following:

I do take photos roughly every 2 seconds, with the strobe (being connected with the fiber optic cable) set to GN16. The manual claims that i should be experiencing continuous shooting at the guide number with almost null recycle time. I think they say it's 0.8 seconds but i surely don't fire the strobe faster than 1 second, more often 2 keeping 2 seconds between the shots. Approximately 20 strobe fires after (which is around 40-50 seconds) my strobe goes into circuit protection mode (red light flashes for 1 second) for about 2-3 minutes, making the strobe unusable. I can fix that temporary by powering the strobe on and off, but i suppose this is now how it is meant to be.

Has anyone experienced this behavior? Is that considered normal strobe operations or should i apply for the warranty? Asking cause i recently got the YS-D3 DUO strobe, and it does not have that issue.

My YS-D3 strobes are also set at f16, but I rarely fire more than 3-4 shots continuous when shooting a moving fish or other critter. so I've never had any issues that you describe above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom