Experience on Tusa Regulaor RS790

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjchang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Just look at papers, this is a very good regulator set with a reasonable price tag (even better under its current promotion). Would like to know whether it is indeed a good one based on personal experience. I'm diving mainly in Southern California, qualified for "cold water" diving, I guess. Thanks in advance.

Jay

I have a pair I have been using in the Great Lakes for last 3 years no problem.

same as the Scubapro MK17, look up reviews on that. Good regulator, wouldn't be my first choice, but certainly far from the bottom.

Ca doesn't qualify as cold water btw, there is no risk of freezing in California, that requires below freezing temperatures at the surface, or very very cold water, i.e. in the 30's. Do you have interest in doubles or sidemount? If so, it may be worth considering a turret set.

same as the Scubapro MK17, look up reviews on that. Good regulator, wouldn't be my first choice, but certainly far from the bottom.

Ca doesn't qualify as cold water btw, there is no risk of freezing in California, that requires below freezing temperatures at the surface, or very very cold water, i.e. in the 30's. Do you have interest in doubles or sidemount? If so, it may be worth considering a turret set.

OK, but forgive my ignorance, what is a turret set, and is it come with the first stage or you can add it on later?

turrets are a first stage design. The Low Pressure ports, generally 5, are on the bottom and 4 of them swivel around, the fifth comes straight out the bottom. It is highly advantageous in doubles, and can be pretty convenient for singles, particularly the fifth port, the swivel bit is pretty irrelevant for backmount. In sidemount same applies, the 5th port is very convenient and the swivel actually becomes convenient for air sharing on the long hose side, and general regulator comfort and streamlining on the shorter hose. Apologies for the smaller pictures

hosekit_doubles_apeks.jpg
These are Apeks DS4's, but the design of the Tusa is basically the same. The one thing you don't see here is the hose with the blue oval on it on the right side would also be crossed over to the other side, it's the secondary/octo

View attachment 201674View attachment 201674View attachment 201674
hosekit_doubles_baretanks.jpg

alternatively, with a swivel/turret first stage, you can see how the hoses crossing are able to do so without getting bent. This is much more natural for the hoses and a bit cleaner look in my opinion

That's also possible due to the 5th port at the bottom. A turret without it can be even worse.

agreed, and that is why I emphasized the fifth port being the important part of the equation, though should also be noted that on all of the Apeks first stages *except flight*, the fifth port can be added, that said there are cheaper regs that are in the same quality range that I would choose before Apeks, just on cost and warranty basis. Hog being first due to cost and lifetime warranty without a service requirement.

Back
Top Bottom