Exotic/oddball/unusual dive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I forgot to mention this place. It's an aquarium in Colorado where you can dive with their creatures. I think it's just a cool idea. Aquarium

Kristopher

I want to dive the 6 million gallon aquarium at the Georgia Aquarium. They have Whale Sharks and Manta Rays along with several thousand other species of fish. It is a bit pricey, but I certainly want to dive it at least once in my life.

I want to dive the 6 million gallon aquarium at the Georgia Aquarium.

You can also dive the aquarium at Disney's Epcot in Orlando. I have not been myself, but I've heard it's fun.

Another quirky dive: Someone posted here recently about Austria's Green Lake, a mountainous temporary lake formed in the middle of summer by snowmelt, then gone in the fall. The meadowgrasses and flowers stay in bloom even under the temporary fresh water! Check out this video.

A "dream dive" (as in..."in your dreams, buster!") would be the zero G trainer at the Johnson Space Center in Houston. Bad part is not having the proper security clearance. I remarked to a couple of their divers that I'd give my eyeteeth to dive there. One remarked, "Well, we'd let you, but then we'd have to kill ya'."
I said, "What are y'all hiding, a Russian spy satellite?"
The one who spoke first looked at his partner and replied without batting an eye, "Looks like we're gonna have to kill him anyway."

But it would be a great dive!

A "dream dive" (as in..."in your dreams, buster!") would be the zero G trainer at the Johnson Space Center in Houston. Bad part is not having the proper security clearance.

For the correct fee and with thusly acquired connections, you might be able do this at the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonauts Hydrolaboratory (40' deep) in Star City near Moscow.

Another quirky dive: Someone posted here recently about Austria's Green Lake, a mountainous temporary lake formed in the middle of summer by snowmelt, then gone in the fall.

That is indeed a remarkable, yet very temporary dive. A bit nippy, too.

After 65 posts now, how come nobody has mentioned "Lake Deliverance", actually Lake Jocassee in North Carolina?

If you wanna: http://www.lakejocassee.com/scubadiving.htm

Other submerged towns: Underwater Towns [Archive] - ScubaBoard

Roatanman,

That's a cool video. There are a couple of lakes with submerged towns around Middle Tennessee, where I come from. I know that on Normandy lake when the water level is down you have to be careful when boating as the old church steeples stick up out of the water. I haven't been able to dive there yet, but it's on my list.

Kristopher

We dive a body of water named Cranberry Lake in the Adirondaks - way upstate New York. It is a man made impoundment from the great timering era gone by - lets say around 100 years ago - unsure exactly, and too lazy to look it up... anyhow, an amazing dive site here is over what actually was the community dump prior to the flooding for the lake. No, not as over-the-top as others, but it amazong each spring what comes up in the muck....

if you volunteer to clean the glass and pick up poop, the Aquarium of Niagara Falls (New York) used to let you dive the sea lion tank.... i think there was some classroom requirements for species interaction familiarity/training before you could go in.

It'd be cool to get to dive with sea lions, Bob. I should see if the local aquarium has a deal like that.

Kristopher

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom