Exotic/oddball/unusual dive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roatanman,

That's a cool video. There are a couple of lakes with submerged towns around Middle Tennessee, where I come from. I know that on Normandy lake when the water level is down you have to be careful when boating as the old church steeples stick up out of the water. I haven't been able to dive there yet, but it's on my list.

Kristopher

That's a point, I've been trying to get the Hong Kong Government to give me permission to dive and video a submerged village (one of about 10 in the reservoir) at High Island.

There's a Tin Hau (Goddess of Seafarers) Temple there, and abandoned carp that have grown to nearly a metre in length thanks to the abundance of food and lack of predators.

Diving through a temple in the company of metre-long goldfish has gotta be pretty sweet.

Sadly the HK government does not share my enthusiasm, but one day, when they're not looking...but don't tell anyone.:ssst:

I would have to say Sipadan Island, Malaysia was one the most exoctic place I have ever dove. After 27 hrs of flying & airports, 2 hrs on a bus & a 1 hr long boat ride to Mabul Island, we arrived at one of the most remarkable dive sites I've ever seen. Our instructor leading the trip didn't hype it up enough & he sure tried to:D. It made all that time cooped up in a tiny chair on the planes worth it! Here is a video of our trip done by our trip leader: YouTube - Scuba Diving Around Sipadan, Malaysia in HD With Aquatech Scuba Center .

There are 3 places that fit your description; Todd Hall in Australia, caves in Exuma, Bahamas and abandoned gypsum mines in Russia..Pictures of all 3 have probably been on SB at one time or another...I haven't dove any of them...........Yet !!!!!

Another place one wouldn't expect to see a dive flag is "blue hole", in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. It's a big, bell shaped cavern, and the water that flows through it is the same water that moves through Carlsbad Cavern many miles away.

That is not true based on my understanding from local Geologists. The system that feeds BH, Perch Lake, and Rock Lake stops long before Carlsbad. I had herd rumors that it went all the way to the Gulf, but Geologists disagree, and who am I to argue! :D

Man, I really want to get over to Homestead crater. It's now firmly on my bucket list!

Kristopher

It's dead. Iow's no marine life or any life lives there as it is 90F+. Novel sure but hardly worth going just to pay the $22 days/$27 weekends fee to dive it for 45 minutes. I'd plan a ski trip, and maybe do it then.

Salt Lake City is a strange place if you have never been. Wendover, NV is kinda a trip as one can gamble and it maybe 75 minutes outside Salt Lake. But Scuba diving is not what I think of when I visit these landlocked spots.

Couple of Notes: 1-Crater in Midway was 93 degrees last time I was there.
2- jellyfish lake in Palau, NO scuba diving is allowed. It is all snorkeling (another reason to admire hammerheads photo, he must have done it freediving).

My choice would be Kiribati (one of 2 islands called Christmas island, pronounced Kiribus). It is about 1,000 miles south of Hawaii and every week or so they have a flight down there. They used to have a dive op down there. Not sure if they still do it or not. My sister in law did it 10 yrs ago and loved it. Talk about pristine conditions.

3 words : Red Sea - Egypt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom