Exotic/oddball/unusual dive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubba-The manta dive is cool, too, but I was talking about jumping in the water 4-5 miles offshore into thousands of feet of water at night. You get to see the vertical migration of what's known as the deep scattering layer. It is a grouping of mesopelagic organisms that come to the surface every night. Many are gelatinous (salps, ctenophores) while others are larval forms of other organisms, but nothing really looks familiar. Incredible.

I'd have to say the most unusual was diving the underwater volcano at Mahengetang, 120 miles north of Manado, N. Sulawesi. Still in Indonesia, but halfway from Manado to the Philippines. Everything is covered in yellow sulfur, and you're surrounded by a constant upflow of gas bubbles.

San Solomon Springs/Balmorhea has been mentioned, but you you don't quite get the contrast between the desert and the springs without visuals.

Yup, that's why I suggested it. How many times do you get to dive in the middle of a desert? Couple that with the Davis Mountains in the background, and it's quite striking.

I suppose the most unusal place I've been diving was in Lake Malawi. There are several species of fish in there that you can't see (wild) anywhere else.

R..

I would love to dive there!!!

Bubba-The manta dive is cool, too, but I was talking about jumping in the water 4-5 miles offshore into thousands of feet of water at night. You get to see the vertical migration of what's known as the deep scattering layer. It is a grouping of mesopelagic organisms that come to the surface every night. Many are gelatinous (salps, ctenophores) while others are larval forms of other organisms, but nothing really looks familiar. Incredible.

Thank you for this info. I plan on stopping in Hawaii every time I travel to the Pacific Island to combat jet lag &, who's kidding who, to extend the vacation. I enjoyed diving with Big Island Divers & will be adding this dive into the mix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom