Exotic/oddball/unusual dive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, Jellyfish Lake in Palau, and the other one in Sangalaki (not as good), are very unusual, though they're usually snorkeled, not dived.

There is a volcanic island in Komodo National Park that emits sulfurous bubbles from the yellowed soil of its slope, creating the effect of diving in an aquarium with a bubble machine. And if you bury your hand in the soil you can feel the heat.

The Undersea Hunter in Cocos Island, in addition to offering amazing shark encounters and generally great diving, has a submersible that can take you 300 meters deep.

Of places I haven't been, diving with Humboldt squid in Baja intrigues me the most.

Last edited:
I was going to name the Valhala missile silo, but was beaten to the punch!

As for unusual places to dive, I just returned from a (more or less) annual trip to Balmorhea, Texas. It's not spectacular diving...just a spring-supplied impoundment...but it's located pretty much in the middle of a desert. 72 degrees year round and even has a couple of endangered species in it. It's how I scratch the diving itch when we can't make it to warmer waters.

Another place one wouldn't expect to see a dive flag is "blue hole", in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. It's a big, bell shaped cavern, and the water that flows through it is the same water that moves through Carlsbad Cavern many miles away.

You might also take a look at places like Vortex Springs or Morrison Springs in Florida. There are many others, but it's a fairly different type of underwater experience.

And great jellyfish photo, hammerhead!

Seeing a Great White outside a cage happens here to a couple divers a year.

Snapper sink and other Florida offshore springs and sinks.

Myrtles crack,in Ned DeLoaches book located downstrean Sante Fe river of Ginnie Springs.

6" vis in the St. Marys river looking for fossils and artifacts.

I can second this. Took my best ever UW photo there. Here you go...
Nice. That would be my best underwater photo too.

One of the coolest. most interesting places that I've been is a place called the "Hot Hole" at Lake Keowee in Clemson, South Carolina. It's at the Oconee Nuclear Station which is part of the Duke Power Plant. The water is warmed by the return flow from the power plant's coolng system. The water in the cove around the station is warm all year round making it a fun place to dive even in winter. Fish congregate there because of the warmth so there is a lot to see. The depth of the cove is in the 40 ft range, so it's a pretty accessible dive for most experience levels. What makes the dive a blast is the flow rate of water coming out of the return. It makes for an intense drift dive experience. I suggest it for anyone who is in the area. I live in Ga. but make fairly regular trips there. You can only get to the cove by boat, but there are a couple very good charters that dive there regularly. Check it out.

Yeah, I've heard of that place, isn't it the one with all the two headed fish?? :wink: :shocked2:

It sounds cool, but I honestly think it would be a little scary diving in water that just cooled a nuke!

Hammerhead,

That's one of the most amazing underwater photos I've ever seen!

Kristopher

And don't forget "rig dives", such as oil and gas production platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. The most stunning is probably High Island 389. It's located in the corner of the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary, which means the legs are not "cleaned" on a regular basis. Subsequently, it's an incredibly lush "artificial reef" with surprising diversity. And, of course, the vis is almost always stunningly clear (at least in the summer months when I've been).

And great jellyfish photo, tddfleming!

I can't take credit for that photo. It is Hammerheads I think. I was just commenting how nice it was. Trust me, you would not want to see my UW photos. All of mine are of color wheels for my daughters science fair project, and SUCK!!!! But the project is done!!!!!

Yeah, I've heard of that place, isn't it the one with all the two headed fish?? :wink: :shocked2:

It sounds cool, but I honestly think it would be a little scary diving in water that just cooled a nuke!Hammerhead,

That's one of the most amazing underwater photos I've ever seen!

Kristopher

I can assure you that being in water cooled by a nuke is not bad. We live by a cooling pond for a nuke plant. We have swan, boat, water ski, knee board and wakeboarding on it. No real problems, as long as you can get past my third eye:rofl3:

Last edited:
My favorite dive that really wasn't a dive was jellyfish lake in Palau, One of the most amazing things I have ever done.

This is the #1 dive I want to do before I die. I've been drooling over pictures of it for years

Back
Top Bottom