Exotic/oddball/unusual dive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd love to dive somewhere with sharks you can actually pet! I just hope they never decide to give someone a "love bite."

Kristopher

One of the coolest. most interesting places that I've been is a place called the "Hot Hole" at Lake Keowee in Clemson, South Carolina. It's at the Oconee Nuclear Station which is part of the Duke Power Plant. The water is warmed by the return flow from the power plant's coolng system. The water in the cove around the station is warm all year round making it a fun place to dive even in winter. Fish congregate there because of the warmth so there is a lot to see. The depth of the cove is in the 40 ft range, so it's a pretty accessible dive for most experience levels. What makes the dive a blast is the flow rate of water coming out of the return. It makes for an intense drift dive experience. I suggest it for anyone who is in the area. I live in Ga. but make fairly regular trips there. You can only get to the cove by boat, but there are a couple very good charters that dive there regularly. Check it out.

My favorite dive that really wasn't a dive was jellyfish lake in Palau, One of the most amazing things I have ever done.

Not me, admittedly, but a fellow commercial diver's claim to fame was a 6 foot deep vat of treacle. Took several minutes to get to the bottom...

(so he said)

My favorite dive that really wasn't a dive was jellyfish lake in Palau, One of the most amazing things I have ever done.

I can second this. Took my best ever UW photo there. Here you go...

Jellyfish1.jpg

I suppose the most unusal place I've been diving was in Lake Malawi. There are several species of fish in there that you can't see (wild) anywhere else.

R..

I just came back from the shark dive at Stuart Cove's in the Bahamas.....highly recommended!

Skarn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom