Exhaling small bubble(s) through nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone!

I’m new to scuba and noticed my mask was leaking quite often. A friend suggested that I may be exhaling through my nose a bit. To test this out I took a pale filled with water and with no mask I began breathing through my snorkel. For the most part I just exhale through my mouth but occasionally a small bubble or two would exit from the left nostril. It also would happen if I wiggled my nose around, regardless of if I was breathing or not but would come out both sides. It doesn’t happen every time but it’s almost like I can feel it building up until it finally happens again. Is this normal?
Well, stop doing that :).

Actually it is common and not a real problem. That might allow a little water to come in.

I understand there are people who have completely dry masks so they claim. I have never owned such a mask that was completely dry. I often allow a little water in to swish the lens.

My mask leaks some around the nose because of my mustache. I generally exhale fully out my nose every few breaths and it naturally clears the mask. I have been waiting to try this food grade silicone grease that was recommended. Apparently it can help seal a mask.

It's not small bubbles leaking from my mask that's the problem. I'm told I have bubbles leaking from my swim trunks. Is that a problem?

I went through about 5 masks, including nose purge, with consistent face leaks. Trimming back mustache and putting grease or wax on it did not help. I intentionally would exhale some through my nose to try to do mini-clearing at times to put off a BIG clearing (every 1-2 min...) and I don't think that affected leaking. In my case, finally finding a mask that did not leak (Hollis M1, on recommendation from my LDS) fixed the problem. And, yes, I occasionally still blow out a little to equalize pressure or push out a little water. Finding the right mask was a game-changer and dramatically improved my SAC. Note that the M1 felt a bit stiff and not that comfortable when I tried it on in the shop. But it held on better than my other masks, some of which had seemed to be fine when I bought them. So find a knowledgeable person at your LDS to help find the right mask for you. Be prepared to try on a lot of masks and don't settle for "well, seems close."

My mask leaks some around the nose because of my mustache. I generally exhale fully out my nose every few breaths and it naturally clears the mask. I have been waiting to try this food grade silicone grease that was recommended. Apparently it can help seal a mask.

Imagine the result if the people used very lightly a grease, cream, vaseline, sunscreen, etc etc, without a moustache

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom