Exercise? or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

My wife and I exercise regularly when we're not diving. But what to do when we're on dive vacations? We can easily go 4, 5 .. or more days in a row diving, and usually we don't exercise. Should we?

What about if we took a day off diving and exercised during that off day? Would that be bad in terms of nitrogen?

It would be very difficult for us to exercise after diving. Even if we waited a few hours, we are usually "so tired" (which I assume is an example of nitrogen de-gassing?)

We are in our late 50's, early 60's and are in good shape for our age. We are keenly aware of the need to keep an exercise program! We usually dive two dives per day and usually not more than 50 or 60 feet -- if that. We might increase the number of dives on subsequent dive vacations -- I have heard of people doing three or even four dives per day.

Thanks,

Bill

Working out the day after diving is not an issue. With regard to a one week trip, I see no need to workout. Usually, on most trips, a lot of walking occurs which should be sufficient.

What kind is exercise are you doing? I run quite a bit these days and find trying to replace my runs with dives doesn't cut for a cardio workout. I recently did a 5 day trip to NC and didn't run while there. Note that NC conditions don't warrant 'easy' dives.' Getting back at running kicked my butt.

If you are walking I'd say it's generally a good replacement exercise.

I have never heard of any recommendations to avoid exercise after diving, so I think you should be fine. You are correct that the tired feeling after a day of diving CAN be from an elevated nitrogen load in your system. It can also be just from being on a boat for hours. You use most of your body in the non-stop attempt to remain "level" on a rocking boat and this can tire people who aren't used to it.

I have heard the period of time you spend floating on the surface right after a dive called your "second safety stop." Doppler studies of micro-bubble formation (which are thought to be indicative of your propensity to get DCS) indicate that formation of such bubble is increased with strenuous exertion right after a dive, especially your legs. I will try to find the article and report back...

OK - found some articles:

The pre-dive exercise advice seems to be contradictory. Personally I'd err on the side of caution.

Working out the day after diving is not an issue. With regard to a one week trip, I see no need to workout. Usually, on most trips, a lot of walking occurs which should be sufficient.

It might be sufficient for some, whatever that may mean, but we are used to vigorous cardio exercise so it is not sufficient for us.

Diving done right should be closer to relaxing than strenuous (except maybe getting out of the water at the end of the dive). There is calorie burn from the motion, as well as from heat loss when in the water, but it is limited. Debbie and I walk a lot after diving, but after a little siesta. I miss my twice weekly weights and cardio workouts when on vacation, but not much. Diving is better. So is, at my age, laying on the beach. I suggest it is wise, as noted above, to avoid strenuous exercise immediately after diving- skip the weight training and windsprints. But a pleasant walk or even 8 minute mile pace ( or slower) run won't hurt you. But it won't hurt you to miss a few runs or workouts in the short term, either.
From my blog on this subject, which is just for fun, I offer the following:
Some of the literature suggests that vigorous exercise should be avoided for several hours after diving in order to minimize the risk of DCI. I am all for doing (and not doing) those things that reduce risk in diving, but I think there are other reasons to avoid rigorous exercise immediately following diving. First, we all know that a cold beer after the last dive of the day is the best beer you will ever taste. Vigorous exercise will increase the risk of spilling your beer, so should be avoided for that reason alone. Secondly, following a day of diving, having a shower, and getting dry and comfortable, it is time to gather with fellow divers and the unfortunate members of your group who did not dive, and share the stories of your dive day, whether factual, exaggerated, or completely made up. It is hard to talk or listen when engaged in rigorous exercise, so such exercise should be avoided for that reason. And then, of course, if you met that special someone diving, or are on a dive trip with that special someone in your life, and meet up after clean up for that best of all beers and a little conversation, and things go well, the next move might well be a walk on the beach. A walk on the beach, not a run on the beach. Walking is better for romance, as we all know. Later, by the time the evening progresses to, well, you know, enough time has no doubt passed that the "exercise factor" is no longer a matter of concern. And even if enough time has not yet passed according to the experts, well, some things are worth the risk!
DivemasterDennis

Taking a week off of exercise won't hurt you. I regularly take a week off here and there to let my body rest. With weight lifting it's actually recommended to do so from time to time. I can't imagine any noticeable difference with running when taking a week off? I've been running for years, and if I take a week off I usually don't notice any difference when I get back to it.

I lift 3 times a week, run 3 times a week, and play in a couple of flag football leagues.

Forgot to mention, I wouldn't exercise during a week long scuba trip because of possible dehydration, cramping, or even injury that may occur during the work out. I guess you could just take it easy when you work out, but I don't know how to do that yet. :D

This is something I've thought about and "experimented" with. The value of my thoughts can be measured by my quite limited understanding of physiology of both decompression theory and human physiology in general and the "experiments" were unavoidable because I just love snorkeling for hours and it can be a serious cardio exercise.
For my next vacation I plan: to start gradually taking it easier on my cardio 4 weeks before the vacation. I will limit the snorkeling and obviously the freediving as much as I am able to while there.
I'd say you should not exercise or exercise less for a couple of days before vacation and do no cardio while on vacation except for stretching and stuff.
Of course if would feel that you really need the exercise and will start eating/drinking/smoking instead, you might be better of exercising.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom