Exercise? or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It might be sufficient for some, whatever that may mean, but we are used to vigorous cardio exercise so it is not sufficient for us.

I can respect that. Be sure to buy DAN Dive Accident Insurance at https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/dive/ - I'd recommend the preferred plan. Standard insurance may not cover chamber treatments, medical evacuation, etc..

DAN is studying the issue...there are no cut and dried responses to it, the belief currently is that there may be an issue with strenuous exercise and diving in regard to increasing your risk of DCS, enough so that DAN cautions you against it. Until they figure it out completely, I'm avoiding anything more strenuous on a dive vacation than lifting my beer.

Rule of thumb I've read is at least six hours surface interval after a dive for a regular workout. However, I'd use a larger cushion, especially if you are doing repetitive dives over a few days.

During your off day, you could likely exercise without fear of consequences, but since you're on a dive vacation, why would you? It's just a waste of a dive day.

Just walk for half an hour to an hour. That wouldn't count as intense exercise.

I've run early in the morning before a dive, didn't seem to affect me. I have, however, respected the advice I've seen that waiting at least 6 hours after a dive to go truly aerobic is a good idea.

But this was moderate running, not intervals, serious speed work, or serious distance.

For my next vacation I plan: to start gradually taking it easier on my cardio 4 weeks before the vacation. I will limit the snorkeling and obviously the freediving as much as I am able to while there. I'd say you should not exercise or exercise less for a couple of days before vacation and do no cardio while on vacation except for stretching and stuff.
This seems excessive to me.
Of course if would feel that you really need the exercise and will start eating/drinking/smoking instead, you might be better of exercising.
And yes, this is part of the reason.

When I'm on a dive trip, I try to stick with diving and the 12-ounce curl.

OK - found some articles:

The pre-dive exercise advice seems to be contradictory. Personally I'd err on the side of caution.

Thanks for these! Seems to me that good plan would be to avoid exercise the day of diving (except the extremities motion) and consider some exercise on off days, not within 24 hours of diving -- which means to go exercise in the morning. I guess we shouldn't go hiking on those days. Bummer.

Thanks for all the comments!

- Bill

PersonallyI’ve always taken a week off from the gym every 6-8 weeks. This has worked for me for a long time. I’d just incorporate that week off with my trip. Two to three dives per day is a lot ofexercise depending on the type of diving you are doing. Then there’s the DAN research on exerciseafter diving and DCS, you may want to check that out. Like one poster stated go snorkeling! You can fin as hard as you wish for as long as you wish, that's as good a cardio workout as you make it.
Bottom line when on vacation enjoy yourself.

DAN's advice in regard to exercise around diving - Just take a nap.

Bubble formation, while noted earlier as not equivalent to or a guarantee of DCS, can indicate an increased risk for it. Intense physical activity -- generally with substantial muscular forces and joint loading (the application of forces on joints) -- is believed to transiently increase micronuclei activity, the presumed agent of bubble formation. Intense physical activity too close to diving may therefore be problematic. Physical activity after diving may also stimulate additional bubble formation, possibly through a combination of increased micronuclei activity and increased joint forces. Interestingly, some preliminary work has shown that an intense bout of exercise conducted 24 hours prior to diving may reduce bubble presence in humans,3 possibly by inhibiting micronuclei activity. This potentially protective effect was not seen with exercise conducted closer to dive time. While this effect needs to be validated, the preliminary findings may support a simple rule of thumb for scheduling exercise. To reduce the risk, it is a good idea to avoid intense exercise 24 hours before and after diving.

The near-dive window will be best for low-intensity activities. Those who participate in cross-training activities may find it easiest to accommodate this schedule. For those who are more single-minded, diving may fit well into training rest days for those who put the priority on exercise, while training may fit best into diving rest days for those who put the priority on diving. Overall, lower training intensities will likely be more appropriate for the latter group, but accommodations can be reached.

Timing of Exercise During Diving
Physical activity during the dive also has a direct impact on decompression safety.4,5,6,9 Exercise during the compression and bottom phase increases inert gas uptake, effectively increasing the subsequent decompression obligation of any exposure. It is important to remember that dive tables and computers estimate inert gas uptake, they never know reality. On the flip side, light exercise during the decompression phase (including safety or decompression stops) increases inert gas elimination and reduces risk. The caveat on exercise during decompression is that more is not always better. Too much or too intense exercise during the decompression phase can stimulate bubble formation, thus inhibiting inert gas elimination and increasing decompression risk.

We do not yet have sufficient data to quantify the difference between beneficial and potentially harmful exercise. Understanding the various issues and applying common sense confers the best protection. Most important is that moderate time-depth profiles are your best defense. Exercise considerations provide only a secondary defense. In terms of the secondary defense, though, the compression and bottom phases are best associated with the lightest exercise possible. Ascent and stop phases are best associated with mild, low-intensity exercise. Exercise that is aggressive and/or stimulates substantial joint-loading is almost always undesirable at any point near or during a dive.

Finally, the post-dive period is a good time to take a nap or relax over lunch. Both decompression and mental health can be helped by an extended period of relaxation between the end of the dive and the start of equipment shifting and/or racing on to the next activity.

In summary, physical fitness -- including both strength and aerobic capacity -- is important for divers both for physical safety and decompression safety. Regular exercise training is best scheduled to separate intense exercise and diving. Intense physical training should be 24 hours on either side of diving activity. Any exercise within 24 hours of diving should involve the lowest possible joint forces.

I work out at a strenuous level every day. Each week I swim at least five miles, cycle at least 75 miles and since I can no longer run due to a broken femur incident, I use an elliptical trainer as a substitute an hour every other night in conjunction with swimming and cycling. I do this seven days a week with a rare day off. When I travel, if I can I will swim but obviously cannot bring my bicycle so for the most part, I just cut my calorie intake way back and do without. Some hotels have workout machines and I will use them. I rarely do weights or anything like that, strictly long, extended output aerobic exercise though I will work anaerobic intervals into the swimming and cycling.

Sine I am accustomed to exercise, I would not have any concern about working out at a reduced level during a dive vacation but I would not go all out.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom