Excursion vs Knighthawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Skaughtie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a question regarding BCs. For a beginning diver is there much difference between the Oceanic Excursion and the Scubapro Knighthawk? I am a coldwater diver with limited experience. Based on my research both BCs look like they would suit my needs but I would appreciae a second third or fourth opinion. I am limited to these as I bought a package deal and these are the options.

They're pretty much the exact same BC's the only major difference would be the lift capacity between the two and the aesthetics. The Excursion has 45lbs of lift throughout all sizes whereas the Knighthawk has smaller lift capacity for it's size Small; 46lbs of lift for all other sizes.

IMO 45lbs of lift is pretty excessive for single tanks dives, even more so if you're wearing a dry suit.
The reason for this high lift however would be if you're going fully integrated with your weights (something I would not recommend).

The Excursion also does not have a Right shoulder dump valve which you may fancy; the Knighthawk has this. There also looks to be a lot of excess strap length on the Excursion where as the Knighthawk looks clean.
You'll want to keep your straps from dangling around, and it appears that the Knighthawk has a retention system to do just this, that or Scubapro really spiffed up their website picture.

Over all I would recommend the Scubapro Knighthawk mainly because
- Straps look cleaner
- Bladder lift capacity is more reasonable (if you're getting size Small)
*Think about how much weight you're wearing though and where you'll be putting it.
If you wear over 34lbs of lead in your BC the size Small Knighthawk won't be able to float this.*

Source:
Oceanic Website - Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba Diving Buoyancy Compensators - Excursion
Scubapro Website - KNIGHTHAWK - SCUBAPRO

I made it 20 dives before getting rid of the Knighthawk and upgrading to a BP/W like all the cold water divers I dive with use. The Knighthawk had too much wing, bungees that are not necessary, and just never felt attached to my body. The tank would flop from one side to the other. As recommended above you should consider using a weight belt. It will allow you to remain neutral in the water column should you need to doff your kit underwater. With weight integrated you are going to be headed to the surface as your air source tries to hit the bottom. Any type of BC with lots of foam fluff in it also takes more weight to sink. Why not start with a BC that sinks in the first place and allows you to remove some lead?

Package deals that have not been pickup yet can be returned. Get what you will use for years to come.

Also incase you were thinking about an AIR II, it may sound good, but if you research them on this board...you will find they are not favorable. I too was suckered into buying one and quickly made it go away.

At least take a few minutes and read this. Much of it might make sense.
Equipment Configuration

What Peter says is true. Many of us dedicated cold water diver went through the process of dumping out "regular" BCs for a backplate and wing system.

The BEST way to save money on dive gear is to buy your second set of gear first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys need to read the last sentence in the initial post.

Although I dive and prefer a BP/W, either one of the BCDs mentioned by the OP will suit a recreational diver nicely in our area. The most important consideration would be which one fits you best. If there's an option, I would recommend trying them both out in the pool, and choosing the one that feels the most comfortable. Test them both underwater and on the surface ... in the latter test, you'll want to choose the one that holds you most securely without excessive "slop" in the shoulder harness when the bladder is filled.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The reason for this high lift however would be if you're going fully integrated with your weights (something I would not recommend).
That won't be possible with either one of these BCDs ... they both have a max capacity of 20# integrated weights (10# per side). For the typical cold-water diver, that means also wearing some lead on a weightbelt.

Over all I would recommend the Scubapro Knighthawk mainly because
- Straps look cleaner
- Bladder lift capacity is more reasonable (if you're getting size Small)
The Knighthawk is also the more well-known and popular of the two, and will probably have a higher resale value in a year or two ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You guys need to read the last sentence in the initial post.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am limited to these as I bought a package deal and these are the options.

Package deals that have not been pickup yet can be returned. Get what you will use for years to come.
I believe I did read it clearly :confused: I stand by returning something you haven't taken possession of should not be a problem. Just wait until the newer divers go diving with the likes of Bob and his cronies and soon want to be like him with all the cool gear and mad skills :D

The BEST way to save money on dive gear is to buy your second set of gear first.

Bingo!

But to answer the OP: Between the two, I agree with Bob. The Knighthawk, being more widely recognized, should have a higher resale value if you trade up to something a bit more hardy (like a BP/W...had to toss it in, I love mine) and, between the two, would be my pick.

Also incase you were thinking about an AIR II, it may sound good, but if you research them on this board...you will find they are not favorable. I too was suckered into buying one and quickly made it go away.

They are not favourable to some....they are to others.

I have a BP/W and a travel BC (Zeagle Stiletto). Do I feel the BP/W is a vastly superior product.....no. The reason many may not like the more traditional BC is the over sized/air trapping/floaty 8lbs positive wing/bladder. Try a more reasonable sized 30lbs wing and they tend to dive more alike than different.

Back
Top Bottom