Deep6 Signature vs Excursion as a deco reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all,

I am putting together my equipment for technical training. Looking at options for deco regs and am trying to decide between the signature and excursion regs. I currently have two signature regs that I use on my doubles, but am wondering if the Excursion would fit my needs for a deco reg just fine. I see on the site that the excursion does not come o2 clean, so I imagine that would have to be done in addition. I would like to stay with deep6 to keep them all in the same family. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

My personal opinion is that it doesn’t matter. As long as the reg breathes ok, dive what you please. I’ve used a handful of hog d1’s for deco since they came on the market. They now serve as my bailout regs and stage regs for CCR.

Hello all,

I am putting together my equipment for technical training. Looking at options for deco regs and am trying to decide between the signature and excursion regs. I currently have two signature regs that I use on my doubles, but am wondering if the Excursion would fit my needs for a deco reg just fine. I see on the site that the excursion does not come o2 clean, so I imagine that would have to be done in addition. I would like to stay with deep6 to keep them all in the same family. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
I actually thought the same thing in the beginning.. save a few bucks. The turret on the signature comes in pretty handy as you deploy the reg, so I ended up with a signature in the end anyway. Handed down the Excursion to my son.

Added bonus (as someone pointed out) same kits across the board. In the long run it's the best plan.

They both breath the same though (at least to me🤷‍♂️).

If you decide to go with the Signature, I have a brand new second for sale for $65 off of retail.
20230805_134619.jpg

I was in a similar position: looking for deco and stage regs after already accumulating two sets of Deep6 Signature doubles regs and two sets of Signature singles regs. The advantages of all my regs using the same service kits, all serviceable by ME, and being swappable among my various sets, as well as the Signature's turret feature were the persuasive factors.

Thank you all for the advice! I think I will be sticking with the signatures. Slightly related question… I would like to service my own regulators going forward. Does deep6 still offer classes for this?

@rsingler teaches a regulator service course now and then. I don't believe it is tied to any specific brand, but the course has been endorsed by the owners of Deep6.

Looks like the last course was May of this year. Have a look at the current thread here, looks like there might be another one soon: Regulator Technician Training - 2023

I’d recommend a piston reg for deco first stages. They’re more flood tolerant

In addition to my more comprehensive 2 1/2 day Regulator Service Technician course, I teach authorized one-day Deep6 Excursion and Signature courses, and DGX "in-house regulator" service courses. Each covers one-model disassembly, service and reassembly, with some regulator theory. The Deep6 course authorizes you to purchase their service kits. DGX service kits are sold to the general public with their company disclaimer.

The monthly long course has about a three-month waiting list. The individual courses are one-on-one and arranged as needed, with no wait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom