Equipment for wreck diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like your name.

Since nobody asked.. why you want to wreck dive? Its just dark, rusty, and other people have already stolen all the good stuff.

By wreck dive, do you plan to dive around the wreck or dive into the wreck? huge difference in both training and equipment. For the "around" case, it is just a open water dive. I don't think you will need wheel. Light and knife are good idea for all kind of dive anyway. If you want to dive into the wrech, "wrech penatration", then you will need far more stuff, both training and gears. Maybe you should first look into proper training, then you will know what gear you need.

SlickNick:

What you need (both skills and equipment) depends on the specifics of the dive. The important thing to recognize is that a "wreck dive" tells you about as much information about the dive as being told it is a "reef dive."

On Bonaire there is a wreck called the Hilma Hooker. It lays on the side with one rail being at 100FSW and the other probably being at something like 60 FSW. So, as a boat dive, it would be a fairly easy dive if one kept to say 60 FSW and you just saw around the wreck. No need for special equipment (perhaps a light to peer into a few portholes). Minimal current and a water temp of probably 80ish.

Now take that same dive and decide to make it a deep penetration (say the engine room) and it is a different story. The same with higher current dives like the Dwayne or the Bibb in Florida. Or the cold water and limited viz dives off of New Jersey. Or a deep dive like the Windjammer (also on Bonaire).... Everything is different -- from equipment to planning to execution.

I appreciate your interest in wrecks, here are some things you might want to think about.

1) Build your foundation of diving skills. Master bouyancy control. Improve your SAC and trim. Become very comfortable in the water. Master recovery from potential problems like lost mask, lost reg, OOA, etc. These will serve you well no matter what/where you dive.

2) Seek out a dive mentor. Seek out an instructor. Ideally, they both have some wreck interests or experience. They will help you grow as a dive. Learn about the many different training options -- GUE, PADI, NAUI, TDI, etc. And then dive!

3) Hold off on buying any expensive equipment for right now. Don't buy that Black Diamond BC with the big d-rings thinking that is what most wreck divers would use -- you may end up needing something else (like a backplate, wings and doubles). As you get further along, it will be more obvious where to invest your money.

4) Learn to use any new equipment and practice that in a lower risk setting. 100 FSW and 3 knot current is not the time to learn any new task (let alone something like a reel or a SMB). Learning should happen with a well qualified individual (could be an instructor or a mentor) helping.

5) When you are ready to progress in your diving, get additional training. When you need (not simply lust after) a piece of gear, buy it.

To answer your Nitrox question, SCUBA typically uses compressed air. If you increase the percentage of oxygen (and reduce the percentage of nitrogen), you get something commonly called EANx or Nitrox. The advantage of Nitrox is that you can extend your NDL bottom time. But that comes with risks from increased oxygen exposure. All manageable but that is why you take the class...

I plan on doing alot of wrecks off Delaware and in the inlet. Moderate to no current at the right time. and all below 60ft or so..for now.. And for now no penetration beyond just sticking my head in to look for goodies:)

---------- Post added November 19th, 2012 at 03:57 AM ----------

I like your name.

Since nobody asked.. why you want to wreck dive? Its just dark, rusty, and other people have already stolen all the good stuff.

Thank you!
And idk. Its just always facinated me. ive been a big freediver since i was about 7 and there was a small wreck and outhouse where my family would take the boat and i would stare at those for hours. Then i got kinda sick of having to keep coming up so i saved up for scuba all summer. And plus the fact that my father and i have a boat, we can go to some of the not so traffic heavy wrecks. Also the possibility of finding some artifacts n other good stuff.

I plan on doing alot of wrecks off Delaware and in the inlet. Moderate to no current at the right time. and all below 60ft or so..for now.. And for now no penetration beyond just sticking my head in to look for goodies:)

Thank you!
And idk. Its just always facinated me. ive been a big freediver since i was about 7 and there was a small wreck and outhouse where my family would take the boat and i would stare at those for hours. Then i got kinda sick of having to keep coming up so i saved up for scuba all summer. And plus the fact that my father and i have a boat, we can go to some of the not so traffic heavy wrecks. Also the possibility of finding some artifacts n other good stuff.

Slick,
What type of artifacts are you expecting to find in an outhouse? Old playboys? I started diving at 16, so I know where you are coming from. For you I would recommend focusing your energies on getting time in the water. A good cadre of safe reliable dive buddies is more valuable than any piece of gear. Your dad being willing to use his boat is a big help too. Have you tried to rope him into this activity? His wallet is fatter than yours...

You are going to outgrow most of your gear both both in size and experience over the next couple of years. Focus on getting quality pieces that you will use forever (I still dive with the reg I bought in 1981). You can go less expensive on stuff like a wetsuit since you know you will only be getting a season or two out of them before they no longer fit.

Don't worry about becoming a wreck diver today. there are plenty of crappy dive spots where artifacts are in the open. You just have to figure out where they are before anyone else. Time in the water is the best teacher. Take courses to learn, not to be certified.

Good luck.

If you are not doing penetration wreck diving no need for a reel.

If you are doing penetration, the training you have done for it should have let you know all the gear you need and exactly how to use it.

Disagree with this. Reel is very useful and required (especially in New England or other low viz places) when you have crap viz and need to run a reel to make your way back to anchor line.

I'd recommend multiple lights. For recreational stuff, two lights is fine. One primary and one smaller backup but a lot of people will dive with three lights when doing caves and wrecks/overhead. It doesn't have to be an expensive light.

Have backups for everything is good, 2 cutting devices minimum. What happens if you can't reach your knife or you lose it? You don't necessarily need another knife, a pair of EM shears or a good line cutter will also work.

While it may appear to be about equipment, diving wrecks is all about mindset. Being completely comfortable, planning the dives properly with adequate gas reserves, being mentally prepared, able to deal with situations as they arise. Also learn proper non silting fining techniques.

Thank you!

Assuming you meant above 60' rather than below 60', I don't see anything wrong with the dive profiles you are describing. The critical thing will be for you to resist the urge to go inside the wreck, it may look inviting, and will probably seem low risk to go inside, or to even poke your head inside, but things can happen that you won't be ready for given your current level of training.

When doing these wreck dives, practice hovering outside of the wreck (staying off of the wreck) and looking at details on the outside. This will probably prove to be both interesting and preparing you with some of the basic skills to do more advanced wreck dives.

If you are not doing penetration wreck diving no need for a reel.

If you are doing penetration, the training you have done for it should have let you know all the gear you need and exactly how to use it.
Someone's already pointed out the problem with this advice, as the OP is doing low viz diving off DE. A reel can be very important as a navigation aide on the low profile wrecks there.

When giving advice regarding a reel, you have to consider the environment the person is diving in rather than just moving to the default reel=penetration=bad for a non advanced wreck trained diver statements.

Someone's already pointed out the problem with this advice, as the OP is doing low viz diving off DE. A reel can be very important as a navigation aide on the low profile wrecks there.

When giving advice regarding a reel, you have to consider the environment the person is diving in rather than just moving to the default reel=penetration=bad for a non advanced wreck trained diver statements.

I think you also have to consider the OP's current level of training (assuming his profile is accurate). With <24 dives, it is likely that using the reel will be more of a liability than an asset.

You know wreck diving isn't all about penetration, you can enjoy the wreck from the outside and still have a kick @ss time. If you are sure that you want to do penetration I would suggest buying the PADI wreck diving manual and start studying. You can also practice your reel/spool work right at home and be better prepared for your upcoming wreck class.

When it comes to equipment its all about redundancy. Three lights (One for you, a backup, and one for your buddy who forgot his) 2 reels, 1 spool, SMB, A knife and a pair of shears. Also look into the backplate/wing configuration which tends to keep your more streamlined when penetrating. Doubles is not required but I would say Nitrox would be first on my list before I started penetrating. A wris tmounted light would also help because it can be a little tricky at first to hold your light and your reel in one hand.

You should also learn to backfin and frogkick because a silt out when your in a wreck will ruin your dive real fast.

Finally have fun and remember to dive within your training and limits.

Slick,
What type of artifacts are you expecting to find in an outhouse? Old playboys? I started diving at 16, so I know where you are coming from.

I mean poking my head in wrecks, not the outhouse. I dont plan on penetration for quite a while. And sadly i think a playboy would have dissinigrated in the 70 years since the lake was built.

---------- Post added November 19th, 2012 at 12:31 PM ----------

Slick,
What type of artifacts are you expecting to find in an outhouse? Old playboys? I started diving at 16, so I know where you are coming from. For you I would recommend focusing your energies on getting time in the water. A good cadre of safe reliable dive buddies is more valuable than any piece of gear. Your dad being willing to use his boat is a big help too. Have you tried to rope him into this activity? His wallet is fatter than yours...

You are going to outgrow most of your gear both both in size and experience over the next couple of years. Focus on getting quality pieces that you will use forever (I still dive with the reg I bought in 1981). You can go less expensive on stuff like a wetsuit since you know you will only be getting a season or two out of them before they no longer fit.

Don't worry about becoming a wreck diver today. there are plenty of crappy dive spots where artifacts are in the open. You just have to figure out where they are before anyone else. Time in the water is the best teacher. Take courses to learn, not to be certified.

Good luck.

i alredy bought my gear.

Oceanic ocean pro bcd
Oceanic Alpha 8 reg
Oceanic gauges
Oceanic viper fin
Oceanic ion 3 mask
Oceanic pioneer wetsuit
and a aluminum 1000

Back
Top Bottom