Equipment for wreck diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of the equipment configurations are pretty dated and exemplify the height of the "wear it all" era. People tend to be a lot more minimalist now with much cleaner configurations that will slow them down less in a current and not get them hung up in a wreck.

IIRC,he has some good discussion about mixes and optimum deco mixes for dives in the 150 ft for 30 minute range, that provides a pretty good idea into the pros and cons of getting on a leaner mix earlier verses a richer mix later versus just using back gas and O2. There's more to it than what discussed there, but it illustrates how everything interacts.

Kind of- if you read it again - he talks about eliminating "danglies" and staying streamlined. - One of the issues with the pics is that it was written when a decent light weighed 20 lbs!!!!!! And - no real wreck reel existed so people still used GIANT jersey reels (some people still do), vs the streamlined versions today.

A lot of the info the OP needs is in there. Anchor tie in, untie, navigation, and overall techniques for wreck diving.

If you look at a cave diver configuration and a typical NE wreck diver - we are still a mess compared to them. Lets face it - there is no real way to carry a catch/goodie bag, tool bag, crow bar, 6 lb hammer, 2 lights, 2 reels, etc....and still be "streamlined".

'Recreational' Limits Wreck Penetration

Defined generally by major scuba agencies as:
Within the light zone - ambient light illuminating the exit and the diver from outside.
No restrictions - two diver must be able to pass through side-by-side whilst sharing air.
No significant risk of silt-out, collapse or other dangers.

Kit I carry as standard:
Sidemount double cylinders or backmounted single with redundant pony (1/3 backgas volume)
1x primary light
1x back-up light
1x primary reel (either cave reel or a 50m+ spool)
1x safety spool (30-50m+ spool)
DSMB / Lift bag
Wetnotes/slates
2x cutting devices - Ti Knife (waist) and Eezy Cut (wrist)
... other equipment as defined by technical diving configuration and/or specific environment and/or dive plan.

'Technical' Limits Wreck Penetration

Defined generally by major scuba agencies as:
Anything beyond recreational penetration limits

Kit I carry as standard:
Sidemount double cylinders
Deco cylinders, as required by the dive plan
1x primary light
2x back-up light
1x primary reel (cave/pathfinder reel)
2x safety spool (50m)
Wetnotes / slates (+ back-up if deco dive)
DSMB and lift bag
3x cutting devices - Ti Knife (waist), Eezy Cut (wrist) and Shears (thigh pocket)
Cave helmet
... other equipment as defined by recreational diving configuration and/or specific environment and/or dive plan.

i have
wreck reel
light
knife

is there anything im missing?

BTW - there is a scuba flea market every year in Toms River - in jan or feb (I forget). Its all about NE wreck diving - and tons of used gear. Anything else you might need, can be found there. Every year I pick up a few things - there is always a few great deals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom