Equipment for Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Mike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Now that we have a forum for Solos Diving, I am wondering what others do for equipment configuratons.

I use one of two configs for OC.

Twin tanks (80 cu ft AL), non-manifoled, two separate regs, Octos and guage packages. I use one set of guages and one Aeries 750GT hoseless computer. Double bladder with with one inflator on each hose.

For short, shallower dives I use a single 95 Steel with a 10cu ft pony. Each with its own regulator and guage setup.

I always carry a spare mask in my thigh pocket.

When I dive the rebreather (Drager) I always have two 19 cu ft bailout bottles maniloded with a redundant regulator and guage setup.

What about others??

Is this overkill, I think not.

My solo diving is done with a "normal" rec config... single AL80, single first, no pony. Where I do my solo dives, though, I have a solid bottom at 40 feet or less ... so an ascent to the surface is always an option for me :)

Shallow: h-valve single
Deep: manifolded doubles and a sling bottle, drysuit

All other gear is the same no matter what. So basically, I don't dive solo with redundant regs.

Originally, I limited my solo dives to 25 feet in waters that I had at least 20 dives in. I dove this in my standard OC kit. I was young, probably too confident and fortunate.

As I progressed and became more knowledgable, I began carrying either a 30 or 40 cu. ft. pony. I still limited my solo diving to 40 feet with this configuration.

I just recently invested in double AL80s (neutral) banded with an isolation manifold. I use two SP Mk25/G250HP regulators routed hogarthian style. I know, a 7' hose is no where near necessary for a solo dive, but that way my hoses are routed the same regardless of the type of diving I do. With this rig I limit my solo dives to 60 feet, fairly conservative but I think appropriate for the midwest - besides there's seldomly something to see below that.

I've also added a few other accessories as well. I now carry a computer and an UWATEC digital depth gauge. I always carry a Safety sausage, which I eventually plan to change to a SMB w/ reel. Truth be told, for the midwest lakes and quarries a safety sausage is sufficient. I also carry an ACR Firefly Plus Strobe for visual signalling. Oh yeah, can't forget the wistle :)

I've never carried a redundant mask, but have considered it lately as I've been getting deeper with my solo diving.

I normally dive (whether I am solo or not) with a BP and wing with double steel 72's set up as independent doubles (ie. no manifold) in a set of aqua explorer travel bands, a pair of Mk 20 D400's with an spg on the left tank, and an air integrated computer off the right tank. The hoses are crossed over for better streamlining and they pose less of a risk of entanglement in that configuration. A lift bag and reel are attached to the bottom of the backplate in the event an ascent line is needed or in the more common and likely event I find and recover an anchor.

I do not use an octo on either reg as the number of second stages would get unmanageable and would reduce streamlining and really are not needed as there is always another second stage available and sufficient air in either tank.

I do however use an Air 2 reg/inflator combo on the right tank. It does provide another means of access to the contents of the right tank but mostly I keep it because it works well for shooting lift bags in cold water and can be readily disconnected if it freezes up - it's a lot easier and quicker than closing the tank valve.

For longer/deeper dives air management is rule of thirds with 1/3 used from the right tank, 2/3rds from the left tank and finishing the dive with the 2nd third from the right tank. For dives where the 1/3 remaining in either tank may not be enough for any potential ascent or deco obligation, a 30 cu ft deco bottle gets slung and goes along on the dive.

For shorter/shallower recreational type dives, I will use air out of the right tank only and use the left tank as a large pony. The advantage is that only one tank then needs changed out which is very quick and easy to do with the travel bands.

I started with a single tank and 30 cu ft pony but found that going with a set of independent doubles was not all that much heavier and added additional saftey and flexibility.

I dive no deeper than 65ft when solo. Standard reg an octo, computer, 13cf pony with its own reg bunjied to the bottle so no hanging hose to catch on something. I carry a lift bag in a thigh pocket and dive reel, titanium knife on the inside calf, 3in small knife on shoulder of BC and a pair of shears about midwaist. That away if I get tangled in something, no matter how I tangled, I would think that I can reach something to cut myself free. Also, thought about the extra mask and may do so when I upgrade to a outback or recon bc in the next month. I dive primarily with steel 72's but, just bought an AL80 and possible going to turn right back around and buy another to make a set of doubles. :eyebrow:

stingray1:
...Also, thought about the extra mask and may do so when I upgrade to a outback or recon bc in the next month. I dive primarily with steel 72's but, just bought an AL80 and possible going to turn right back around and buy another to make a set of doubles. :eyebrow:

I own a recently retired recon and it works very well with doubles and is super durable. But you need to add the plate kit to use doubles with it and that makes it a fairly expensive alternative.

Shallow <100fsw normal rec gear with pony bottle, safety sausage, whistle, knife/shears.
Deeper > 100fsw double tanks with manifold, lift bag, primary reel, 2 cutting devices (knife/shears) backup mask, backup light (X2) HS Explorer+BT

DA Aquamaster:
I own a recently retired recon and it works very well with doubles and is super durable. But you need to add the plate kit to use doubles with it and that makes it a fairly expensive alternative.
I found the same too be true of the Sherwood outback as well. Just need to decide on which one now, for the most part they seem almost identical. I'm leaning hard to the outback simply because the new regs I'm getting in about a week or so are also Sherwood (Blizard, shadow+, standard console). If it wasn't for going doubles I wouldn't even spend the money on a new bc. My traditional rec bc (Mares Vector, Origin) is an upgrade from my old divtopia, it has less than a year on it.

i use drager dolphin with ean .40 mix w/bailout bottle and a 40ft3 redundant, drysuit,whistle,knife and a 50lbs lift when doing solo dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom