Equipment for Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
Does your Dolphin have the zeagle or the ap valves bcd? The ap valves does not seem to have very good attachment points for a 40cuft.
Do you have an inflation whip on your second bailout?

hi dave,
i'm still using to the drager bcd and my 40ft3 stage bottle (main redundant/bailout) is just clipped to the shoulder/waist d-rings. i just use the second stage as an inflator whip.

jerome

kf6cxf:
hi dave,
i'm still using to the drager bcd and my 40ft3 stage bottle (main redundant/bailout) is just clipped to the shoulder/waist d-rings. i just use the second stage as an inflator whip.

jerome

I notice from your avatar you have the black cased dolphin. My black unit has a lightweight bcd made by ap valves. My white cased unit has a more elaborate bcd made by zeagle. I was hoping to start extending my RB dives and prefer the apv bcd but find a lack of anchor points for off-board cylinders.

So you must have an air2 of some kind.

awap:
I've thought about a spare mask but just don't want to add the clutter unnecessarily. I guess if you are not comfortable without a mask, you really should carry a spare regardless of whether you are solo or buddied (unless maybe your buddy will share his). So I've been working on a more compact alternative monocle design using a single lense from a pair of swimming goggles and a tube to allow clearing. I'll let you know when I think I have a working prototype. Biggest problem so far is getting my wife/buddy to stop laughing at my failures.

I use the second mask as I dive a FFM and need to change masks if I change air sources.

I have practiced the remove mask, get bungeed regulator in mouth, retrive spare mask and place on face so many times I can do it in my sleep. I am about to move away from the FFM for Solo diving and go to a regular mask, however, I will still keep the second (spare) mask.

wedivebc:
I notice from your avatar you have the black cased dolphin. My black unit has a lightweight bcd made by ap valves. My white cased unit has a more elaborate bcd made by zeagle. I was hoping to start extending my RB dives and prefer the apv bcd but find a lack of anchor points for off-board cylinders.

I do not know about others, but I removed my RB from the orginal BC and placed in on a Custom Divers BP with wing. So much better. More attachpoints, better BC and it fits my frame so much better.

wedivebc:

yup, got the air2 also.

Diver Mike:
I do not know about others, but I removed my RB from the orginal BC and placed in on a Custom Divers BP with wing. So much better. More attachpoints, better BC and it fits my frame so much better.

Got a picture? I have never seen one of those. Any bp I have seen for the dolphin limits the expansion of the cl and I'm a pretty big guy with big lungs. :wink:

Green_Manelishi:
A question for those diving a single (with ANY type of valve) ... I use an H-valve on my singles.

CAN YOU REACH THE VALVE AND SHUT IT DOWN IF NECESSARY?

YES

It was never mentioned by an instructor, but from my first confined water dive, I've ALWAYS rigged my gear so that I could reach the valve myself. I thought that was just common sense.

Diver Mike:
Now that we have a forum for Solos Diving, I am wondering what others do for equipment configuratons.

I use one of two configs for OC.

Twin tanks (80 cu ft AL), non-manifoled, two separate regs, Octos and guage packages. I use one set of guages and one Aeries 750GT hoseless computer. Double bladder with with one inflator on each hose.

For short, shallower dives I use a single 95 Steel with a 10cu ft pony. Each with its own regulator and guage setup.

I always carry a spare mask in my thigh pocket.

When I dive the rebreather (Drager) I always have two 19 cu ft bailout bottles maniloded with a redundant regulator and guage setup.

What about others??

Is this overkill, I think not.
Not if it will save you life some day.
I'm not there yet as far as your kit is concerned but after both my cavern/Introcave course I learned you can not have too much air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom