Equipment for DIR-F - what do I need and what can I beg/borrow/rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
I would say let them all stand on their own "merit" :D

IndigoBlue - though I do not call myself a DIR diver (I'm most likely the epitomy of an unsafe diver in the eyes of some, especially you based on some of your comments to me in previous posts), I took a DIRf class and plan to take Tech1. Therefore I will refute your suppositions based on my experience:

In my DIRf class -

-I used HP 120's, which will also be no problem in my Tech1 class.
-I used a DiveRite BP/W (had to remove the knob from rear dump) and will use the same setup for my Tech1 class.
-The only Halcyon gear I own is a can light - I got it used off ebay.
-My DS has no P-valve and most likely never will :wink:
-I was not REQUIRED to buy ANY gear to complete the class, though I opted to go ahead and buy some non-suicide snaps and a shorter SPG hose.
-My mask had a *gasp* purge valve (was told as long as I can clear it and it does not leak, it will be accepted). I have since found an exceptional deal on a low volume non-purge-valve mask that actually fits me - WOO-HOO!!
-I did not use an STA (duh!! I was using doubles - why would I need an STA?)
-There are NO GUE-trained/DIR divers, much less instructors, in my local or extended local area that I know of, therefor I dive without them and have survived quite well, Thankyouverymuch.
Oh...Please....quit trying to use facts to confuse an issue. What are you thinking? :wink:

fireflock:
I am thinking about signing up for the DIR-F class at Lake Rawlings this summer, but I'm a little unclear about what the equipment requirements for DIR-F are.

Hi fireflock,

I just so happen to live in Greenville, NC and am a DIR diver. If you have any questions about the class or gear, I don't mind meeting somewhere one day to chat. If you care to go diving with some other DIR divers, you are welcome to come with us when it warms up. I'll send you an email or PM in case you don't read this.

Wow and I've been missing all this...

As others have said check the GUE web site and get in touch with MHK. His email is posted on the GUE web site and his phone number is posted all over this board.

Folks...

Why answer a question when it's clear that you don't know anything about the subject?

Snowbear:
-There are NO GUE-trained/DIR divers, much less instructors, in my local or extended local area that I know of, therefor I dive without them and have survived quite well, Thankyouverymuch.

How can you be DIR if you are not diving with other DIR buddies?

(1) You can't solo dive (it's not DIR)
(2) The DIR "buddy team" is supposedly one of the most important parts of the system. If your buddies aren't diving DIR, you aren't either

I haven't taken the course, but from what I've read this is way it works. Maybe Im wrong?

TX101:

(2) The DIR "buddy team" is supposedly one of the most important parts of the system. If your buddies aren't diving DIR, you aren't either

I haven't taken the course, but from what I've read this is way it works. Maybe Im wrong?

Not having a DIR team to dive with doesn't mean that you won't benefit from the training.

Much of the DIRF is more skills and good diving practice than it is DIR specific.

MikeFerrara:
Not having a DIR team to dive with doesn't mean that you won't benefit from the training.

No argument there, Mike.

It's just that I've read the comment on SB from DIR divers before that "You can't be a bit pregnent" ie. You can't be a bit DIR. It's a holistic system. You can't just use the equipment & skills bits and call yourself a DIR diver (again, this is from what I've been reading from what DIR divers have posted on the board).

So, how can you be "Doing It Right" if you don't have DIR buddies?

TX101:
You can't just use the equipment & skills bits and call yourself a DIR diver (again, this is from what I've been reading from what DIR divers have posted on the board).

Who says that you have to be DIR to take DIR-F? Who says you have to take all the advise and accept it? In my eyes, the DIRF class is way more about the basic skills every diver should have, then a class to teach you how to be DIR.

And given this specific situation; where there is more than one person in the class, and there was already a class in this area before, I doubt finding buddies would be as difficult as you seem to indicate.

Spectre:
Who says that you have to be DIR to take DIR-F? Who says you have to take all the advise and accept it? In my eyes, the DIRF class is way more about the basic skills every diver should have, then a class to teach you how to be DIR.

And given this specific situation; where there is more than one person in the class, and there was already a class in this area before, I doubt finding buddies would be as difficult as you seem to indicate.

I didn't say you have to be DIR to take the DIR-F class.

I also didn't day it would be difficult to find buddies.

All I said (in a nutshell) is that I from what I've read, I don't think it's possible to be a "DIR diver" without a DIR buddy. Sure, you can do the class, do the skills & get the card. But you don't get to pick a choose what you use & what you don't use if you want to call yourself "DIR". You have to demonstrate skills to a certain level, you have to have a certain equipment configuration, you have to demonstrate a certain level of fitness and you have to dive in a buddy team that consists of DIR divers.

Of course, you can do the course and use what you consider the best bits and turf the rest (and there's nothing wrong with that). But if you do this, you are no longer a "DIR Diver". You are a diver who's equipment is configured in hogarthian style and who has good bouyancy skills.

TX101:

TX101 - if you read again what I actually said, you should notice I said I don't call myself a DIR diver, but I took the class - it most definitely benefitted my diving. The point of my post was to point out that one can take the DIRf class without owning Halcyon gear and 104's.

chickdiver:
Please, please stop demonstrating to the world what a complete fool you are.

Is it ever possible to discuss the nuances of Halcyon and GUE without attracting characters like this together with their personal insults?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom