Equipment for DIR-F - what do I need and what can I beg/borrow/rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once again IB - just where are you getting this from? Names and sources. I'll place money on the fact that you're just making this up, or that your 'sources' laugh out loud when they're confronted with your version of 'facts.'

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. But it has become pretty obvious that you don't know anthing about DIR-F.

For some reason, there are lots of misconceptions of what is required for a DIR-F class - equipment, skill levels, etc.

Until I was at EE, @ High Springs three weeks ago, I could have sworn that you had to dive in doubles to take a DIR-F course. Of course, this isn't true.

Hantzu

detroit diver:
The instructors travel all over the world to teach these classes. There is no need for a "local" instructor. Just enough students to make it worthwhile to hold a class.

Local buddies would be nice, but the skills you learn from this experience will benefit you whether your buddies are DIR or not.

Yes, you will have to have the equipment necessary to take the class. Just like the requirements for any class.

Now we are getting into the meat.

Local instructors in my view is critical. Fortunately for that issue, there are more and more local instructors available, based on what I have seen.

Local buddies is also critical, I do not see how you could dive without them.

Now, the clencher. YOU DO need to have "the equipment" necessary to take the class, so 99% of the time, get ready to re-gear. Glad we finally agreed on all that. :)

Thank you for being honest, DD.

IndigoBlue:

Local instructors in my view is critical. Fortunately for that issue, there are more and more local instructors available, based on what I have seen.

Now, the clencher. YOU DO need to have "the equipment" necessary to take the class, so 99% of the time, get ready to re-gear. Glad we finally agreed on all that. :)

That's not the meat of anything. It's you trying to bail out of an argument you have obviously and resoundingly lost. That you need to "re-gear" for DIRF is absolutely obvious to everyone, and is in fact why this thread was started

jonnythan:
That you need to "re-gear" for DIRF is absolutely obvious to everyone, and is in fact why this thread was started

Actually, the thread was started regarding rental-regearing.

Rent or buy question.

I think the meat of the question is whether a renting approach is conducive; since by going down the GUE road, you will now be changing almost everything about your gear and your buddies.

I have no desire to argue with you, Jonnythan.

Deleted duplicate post.

IndigoBlue:

IB,
Your remarks remind me of another person who is, theortically, no longer on the board.

No one forces you to take the DIR-F class. But, given that there are more and more LOUSY instructors, taking a DIR-F isn't a bad idea. And frankly, while a BCD is comfortable, IMHO, it's a pretty crappy piece of gear for what you have to pay for it.

IndigoBlue:
Every (both) GUE instructor I have talked to wants you to buy their gear, starting with a backplate, harness, and STA.

Would you please share with us whom these instructors are? I’m interested as I also plan on attending the Spring class at Lake Rawlins and your comments are not consistent with my on-line discussions with MHK. I am disappointed that I just spent a considerable amount of money on a set of PS E7-100 doubles and will now have to replace them with a single 104.

Mike

MikeS:
Would you please share with us whom these instructors are? I’m interested as I also plan on attending the Spring class at Lake Rawlins and your comments are not consistent with my on-line discussions with MHK. I am disappointed that I just spent a considerable amount of money on a set of PS E7-100 doubles and will now have to replace them with a single 104.

Mike

Did you want the short answer or the long answer?

I am sure your PS E7s will be fine. For now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom