Equipment for DIR-F - what do I need and what can I beg/borrow/rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndigoBlue:
Did you want the short answer or the long answer?

Long answer, because you're confusing me. First you say I need 104(s).
IndigoBlue:
Plan to re-gear, with a harness, backplate, STA, long hose, P-valve on your drysuit, bunjees on your instruments, 104s, etc.
Now you say my double 100s are will be fine.
IndigoBlue:
I am sure your PS E7s will be fine.

When someone with your demonstrated expertise calls into question the very motive of GUE in presenting the training, I’m not sure I’ll be able to sleep tonight without clarification.

Mike

IndigoBlue:
Now we are getting into the meat.

Local instructors in my view is critical. Fortunately for that issue, there are more and more local instructors available, based on what I have seen.

Local buddies is also critical, I do not see how you could dive without them.

Now, the clencher. YOU DO need to have "the equipment" necessary to take the class, so 99% of the time, get ready to re-gear. Glad we finally agreed on all that. :)

Thank you for being honest, DD.

Honest? This is no revelation now, is it? You have to have the equipment to take a class. If you took multi engine rated flying lessons, do you think it might be possible that you'd need an airplane with more than one engine? Every class you'll ever take has requirements. This one isn't any different.

Why does the instructor have to be local? I was taught by a guy from Los Angeles, a guy from Seattle, and a guy from Kingston, Ontario. In fact, most all of my dive buddies were also. They showed us what we needed to know, and now it's my turn to go practice it and get proficient at it. This isn't kindergarten and I don't need someone holding my hand.

As for local buddies, I concur that this would be a wonderful circumstance. But that's not always the case, so deal with what you've got. Once you've been taught what you need to know, you can practice it with other buddies. Just let them know what you need to work on. If they're a friend, then they should be happy to assist you.

MikeS:
Would you please share with us whom these instructors are? I’m interested as I also plan on attending the Spring class at Lake Rawlins and your comments are not consistent with my on-line discussions with MHK. I am disappointed that I just spent a considerable amount of money on a set of PS E7-100 doubles and will now have to replace them with a single 104.

Mike

Where are you guys getting this stuff? In my dirf, there were double al 80's, double 104's, single 80's, single 95's. It doesn't matter.
You do need a bp/wing & long hose w/ necklace, and if ya don't have this look to borrow, and MHK will help you out in that regard.

IndigoBlue:
Did you want the short answer or the long answer?

I am sure your PS E7s will be fine. For now.

Please, please stop demonstrating to the world what a complete fool you are.

I took the Fundamentals class in a reg & BP I borrowed from David Rhea, the instructor. I bought a Pioneer, but it had not arrived in time for the class. Same with my long hose. My tanks - 104s - were borrowed from the guy who persuaded me to take the class. The rest I cobbled together from my personal kit and a few purchases at the shop where the class was held.

Ultimately, ask your instructor what may be available to rent.

Todd

Spectre:
Hey Pete. Did you ask IndigBlue to edit all his posts in this thread also? :wink:
Ouch...Thats gotta hurt :)

IndigoBlue:
I think the meat of the question is whether a renting approach is conducive;
I think renting would be highly beneficial. If you aren't sure and are hesitant about having to "re-gear" what better to try things out then to rent or borrow the gear for the class.

Aside from talking to two instructors, what experience do you have with this class? Have you taken the class? Have you helped set one up? It would appear that you have little to offer besides questionable second or third hand advice. Unless you can demonstrate some level of authority in this area I find it hard to believe you're making any valuable contribution to this thread. If you have nothing useful to add I think everyone would be well served if you would quietly bowed out of the discussion.

You know what Drew? Here's the sad part for Indigo Blue. Unless he goes through and edits out all his comments, years from now, people are going to look back on this thread and say, "Oh my goodness - that man was a complete fool. He obviously knew nothing but insisted on diggin his hole deeper."

Spectre:
Hey Pete. Did you ask IndigBlue to edit all his posts in this thread also? :wink:
I would say let them all stand on their own "merit" :D

IndigoBlue - though I do not call myself a DIR diver (I'm most likely the epitomy of an unsafe diver in the eyes of some, especially you based on some of your comments to me in previous posts), I took a DIRf class and plan to take Tech1. Therefore I will refute your suppositions based on my experience:

In my DIRf class -

-I used HP 120's, which will also be no problem in my Tech1 class.
-I used a DiveRite BP/W (had to remove the knob from rear dump) and will use the same setup for my Tech1 class.
-The only Halcyon gear I own is a can light - I got it used off ebay.
-My DS has no P-valve and most likely never will :wink:
-I was not REQUIRED to buy ANY gear to complete the class, though I opted to go ahead and buy some non-suicide snaps and a shorter SPG hose.
-My mask had a *gasp* purge valve (was told as long as I can clear it and it does not leak, it will be accepted). I have since found an exceptional deal on a low volume non-purge-valve mask that actually fits me - WOO-HOO!!
-I did not use an STA (duh!! I was using doubles - why would I need an STA?)
-There are NO GUE-trained/DIR divers, much less instructors, in my local or extended local area that I know of, therefor I dive without them and have survived quite well, Thankyouverymuch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom