Equipment for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good mask for about $100.00. Pick one that fits well and is comfortable. Fins don't make that much difference for the amount of diving you plan on doing...pick cheap. If you turn into a fanatic like the rest of us read Rodales when they rate fins and pick the characteristics you like. I use Atomic Split fins at about $190.00. You can get good fins cheaply on e-bay. Later if you really like scuba and are doing it on a regular basis buy the entire package from your LDS. I bought everything from my instructor. When you get everything they can cut prices on some things and give you a good deal. If you don't like the stuff or it doesn't work you can take it to the LDS for exchanges or repairs.For $30 you can get the glue in lenses for your mask from 1 diopter to 3.5.

I started at 61. Will finish Divemaster by Aug.25. Will turn 64 that day.

Damselfish:
Not a cheap sport, but just so you're not scared off buying your own gear if price is an issue - you don't have to buy the most expensive gear out there to get good stuff, the most expensive is not necessarily the best. Do your research, and you'll find there are plenty of lower price options that are perfectly good reliable equipment. For example you could spend $500 or more on a BC, or you could spend $300 for a quality BC that happens to fit you better and meets your needs. Don't skimp on a reg, but don't think some fancy titanium reg is better just because it costs more.

The most expensive gear is stuff that turns out to be wrong and you wind up replacing it in a short time.

Good clarification Demselfish, Thanks! :11ztongue

Wally-If you want to dive, buy your own equipment. The fact that you spent the money may be incentive enough to get out and use it. Approach advice from certain sources with caution. Asking a LDS for advice is like asking a realtor what house to buy. The answer will tend toward a brand and model they sell and will usually be at the higher end. Often the only difference between a $300 and $600 BC will be $300. I see a lot of caution against "cheap gear". Ask for a clarification. Does this cheap gear have a name? Are the reasons for not using it based on fact or merely hearsay? Do you think that a LDS is going to peddle something dangerous, regardless of price? The only unsafe gear I've seen has been due to misuse or neglect. If you are only going to dive a couple of times a year I would suspect it will be in warm water. You can piece together a quality BC, reg set with gages and octo and a wetsuit for about $500. If you want a computer, figure on another $300 approx. This gear won't be ideal for deep technical diving or very cold water but if you aren't going there, why pay for it? It is generally good advice, if you are new and uncertain as to brands and models, to buy from a LDS but the internet is a great tool to use for a reality check on prices. Everything is negotible. If you are in a financial position to buy a package for both you and your wife then you are in a good position to bargain on the bottom line. As far as the "personal" gear (mask,fins,snorkle,wet suit boots) that most LDS's require for open water students- all LDS's I've been in offer a package deal of some sort. Likely you could duplicate the package online for up to a $100 less but this starts you in the sport in an awkward relationship with the shop plus fit and comfort of these items is important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom