Equipment for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Wally Hammer. My wife and I are about to begin scuba diving lessons. We need advice about gear purchases. We have been advised that we need to buy masks, snorkles and fins. We are both in our fifties, and in pretty good physical condition. I mention our ages only becasue I thought it might be a factor to consider in equipment purchases. We live in the Mid South so we will not likely dive over once or twice a year. I am tending toward the purchase of less expensive equipment, but I don't want to buy something that isn't going to perform satisfactorily or be comfortable. Any advice will be welcome.

Thanks

I assume you are taking the lessons through a shop (LDS - local dive store). Instead of trying to save a few bucks online, I'd suggest you work with them to get fitted for the mask and fins. Snorkel is really up to you, but I'd go cheap rather than expensive on a snorkel. Fill in your profile so we know where are you located and what type of diving will you be doing mostly... Welcome to the board...

I am tending toward the purchase of less expensive equipment...

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

It's just not a cheap sport, though, and I do not agree with renting even expensive equipment. My feelings are: Either own your own, know it well, keep it serviced, or - don't go in the water. Like CJ suggested, work with your LDS & Instructor on getting a good mask & fins, requesting quality first, with price not being the important factor. I know you don't want to spend money, that's a typical feeling, but you, your wife, and I are in our 50s, and we need to be careful. Cheap gear is not good, good gear is not cheap, and you don't know enough about it all to try to save a little on online shopping.

At our age, Bi-focal maks are really indicated; you want to see the fish and the guage, both, and I know very few in their 50s who don't need bi-focals. Good fins will save your energy, not to mention being helpful in an emergency. A snorkel is required, so get one.

Very soon, maybe after you get certified, your LDS will probably make you a package offer discount on the big ticket stuff, and it's a good idea to own:
  • Your own BCD, each - though expensive, you really want to control buoynacy well and float on demand;
  • Your own Octo-Reg, even though expensive - as breathing beats the alternative;
  • A Safety sausage & Storm Whistle, fortunately not expensive - but important when you need one; and
  • Even if you get a weight integrated BCD, carry a few weight belt clips, in case you ever have to use a rental belt. $4 for 4, and they'll come in handy some day when you don't have time to look for them.

If you do rent the BCD & Reg, then buy the other things, and rent from your home LDS. And I'll hush now...

don

BTW - it would really help if you'd complete your Profile...

:D

Wally, Welcome to SB! I'm 51 and got my OW Cert. last August. I agree with Don 100%, own you own equip., know your own equipment! We've all probably seen this phrase; "Scuba is an equipment intensive sport".

wally hammer:
Hi, my name is Wally Hammer. My wife and I are about to begin scuba diving lessons. We need advice about gear purchases. We have been advised that we need to buy masks, snorkles and fins. We are both in our fifties, and in pretty good physical condition. I mention our ages only becasue I thought it might be a factor to consider in equipment purchases. We live in the Mid South so we will not likely dive over once or twice a year. I am tending toward the purchase of less expensive equipment, but I don't want to buy something that isn't going to perform satisfactorily or be comfortable. Any advice will be welcome.

Thanks
Diving with your own equipment is so much better than using different rental stuff each time. You will be so much more relaxed if you know where everything is located on your body and how it works before you step into the water. Go to a few dive shops and try on equipment there. Ask them about what to buy for your specific needs. Then, when you feel that you have enough information, consider buying.

One thing to consider when buying a mask, is can it be fitted with prescription lenses. If you don't need it now, you might in the future.

You are going to be so glad you found this board. I have been diving for 15 years, yet have learned so much in the short time I have been on SB.

Welcome to SB and to diving!

K

I waited until I had done about 20 dives before I bought a full set of gear though I started off with mask, snorkel and fins soon after my certification. Mask is necessary if you require prescription lens as I do. No need to buy expensive snorkel - I made that mistake, unless you do more snorkelling than diving you do not really need it when diving. My first pair of fins (Aqualung) was long, stiff and heavy. I am 56 and fit from regular swimming, yet the fins tend to give me a cramp in the calves after several repetitive dives. My second pair was a Mares Volo which was more comfortable but quite useless in a strong current. Consider the length of your fins too. Long fins are good to fight strong current but packing them requires a big bag. I will like to trade off my two pairs for one which is better designed for unexpectedly strong currents, medium length & medium weight. I am thinking of force or split fins - these are considerably more expensive. After a couple of bad experiences with rental regulators - mouth pieces ill-fitting, a second stage keeps pulling off my mouth, aching jaws, heavy breathing - I became more confident with my own regulators, an Atomic Aquatics B2, very good but pricey. As for BCDs, after referring to the numerous discussion in ScubaBoard, I bought a back-plate and wing (Halcyon Pioneer). I find BP&W superior to BC jacket. You achieve neutral buoyancy quickly and consume less air because of streamlining. Its also more durable than a BC jacket.

DandyDon:
It's just not a cheap sport, though, and I do not agree with renting even expensive equipment. My feelings are: Either own your own, know it well, keep it serviced, or - don't go in the water. Like CJ suggested, work with your LDS & Instructor on getting a good mask & fins, requesting quality first, with price not being the important factor. I know you don't want to spend money, that's a typical feeling, but you, your wife, and I are in our 50s, and we need to be careful. Cheap gear is not good, good gear is not cheap, and you don't know enough about it all to try to save a little on online shopping.

Not a cheap sport, but just so you're not scared off buying your own gear if price is an issue - you don't have to buy the most expensive gear out there to get good stuff, the most expensive is not necessarily the best. Do your research, and you'll find there are plenty of lower price options that are perfectly good reliable equipment. For example you could spend $500 or more on a BC, or you could spend $300 for a quality BC that happens to fit you better and meets your needs. Don't skimp on a reg, but don't think some fancy titanium reg is better just because it costs more.

The most expensive gear is stuff that turns out to be wrong and you wind up replacing it in a short time.

Welcome aboard,

Lots of good advice for you above.

I would go with the economy package on Mask, Fins, and snorkle. Make sure the mask is a good fit. As far as a perscription mask is concerned, I use a small magnifinig glass glued in my mask, it is made for diving (by Trident). Around 15 bucks vs. 70 plus for bifocal lenses.

I have both and the bifocal mask is my backup, I like the small magnifiers better.

If you only plan a couple of dives a year do not go all out at first, make sure you like it and talk to other divers, and hang out here at the board and absord.

Good luck

Mike

Welcome to SB Wally!

A wealth of knowledge found here, and good advice above.

As Mike said, if you are only planning a couple of dives a year, don't go all out, take your time in making those purchases.

As the others have said, Diving with your own equipment is definitely the way to go. Try out different equipment (brands, styles etc..) before making that purchase, you want to be sure you are comfortable and it fits right.

Enjoy the board and good luck with your Classes and purchases!

WG

Welcome to the board and the wonderful world of diving. I too am 50 and I dive every week in Southern California.

I wold wait on everythig but the mask and fins until you have a few dives under your belt. Some do 3 or 4 dives after certifing and decide, been there, done that, I'm done. Others, like me become adicted. This will also give you time to decide what equipment is right for you and to try out differnt types.

Owning your own equipment:
Advantage, you know it well, it fits and you know its history and how well it has been maintained.
Disadvantage: (1) Traveling with SCUBA gear is a pain. (2) SCUBA equipment requires an annual service every year.

This is life support equipment and you simply cannot skimp on the servicing. In 2002 there was a fatality directly attributed to this. Diver had his gear serviced, did a couple of dives and put it away for a year or so. Saved the $70 by not having is serviced again, after all it had only been dove a few times since the last service. Failed to notice a drop of water had got into the first stage, rust developed and blocked the air flow, then as the dive progressed the gasket on piston in the first stage was tore up by the rust and failed at depth. Result a dead, but frugal diver.

Your profile does not say where you are at in the world. Perhaps you might do some local diving once a week or month to maintain you skills and fitness. Diving is terrific exercise with noticeable health benefits if done on a regular basis.

On a cost benefit basis, if you are only going to use the equipment one or two weeks a year I could not justify owning for the following reasons: (1) you won’t really be that familiar with the equipment because you don’t use it enough. (2) SCUBA gear takes up a lot of room in the old suitcase and so it is easier to rent it there (Wetsuit and BC defiantly regulator and computer maybe), (3) Renting a wetsuit at the destination allows you to get one the right thickness for the waters you are at on this trip, but that won’t fit as well as a custom suit. (4) Over the next 10 years you probably will not recover the cost of owning the equipment in rental savings (Purchase Price + annual service Cost – money you would have spent renting every year).

When it comes to the mask and fins, buy what works best for you in terms of fit. Price should not be the primary consideration. An expensive mask that does not fit well does not beat an inexpensive one that does and visa versa. Your physical conditioning and type of diving will dictate what type of fins you buy. When buying SCUBA gear, buy what works well for you and will provide years of service. Cost should be the last concern and more expensive does not mean better.

SCUBA equipment is expensive. A complete rig will run you $1,500 to how much money you got. Once you own your gear, a shore dive cost $4.00 to $5.00 (cost of air fill) and boat dives are $70 and up depending on many factors. In my area $100-$400 is right depending if it is a one day or multi day trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom