Equalization question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bent Benny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don't know if this is worth starting a thread for, but I don't know where else to ask this.

In my OW class I was taught that you not only need to equalize your ears/sinuses on your descent, but also on your ascent by swallowing or moving your jaw.

The thing is I have never had to do this in over 30 dives. I assume that is because I make a slow ascent and they equalize on their own, but I want confirmation on this.

If this is the case, why can't they equalize on their own on the descent?

I don't know if this is worth starting a thread for, but I don't know where else to ask this.

In my OW class I was taught that you not only need to equalize your ears/sinuses on your descent, but also on your ascent by swallowing or moving your jaw.

The thing is I have never had to do this in over 30 dives. I assume that is because I make a slow ascent and they equalize on their own, but I want confirmation on this.

If this is the case, why can't they equalize on their own on the descent?
I've always had to equalize on ascent. I can't imagine not doing it. Frankly, it's one of the ways I tell if I'm rising/falling without checking my gauges all the time.

I never need to equalize on accent, my older son is one of the lucky few that don't need to do anything to equalize going down, it just happens for him.

It probably has something to with him not being able to hear anything I say other than "food"

Some people have an easier time with equalization than others. In absence of a medical condition, permanent or transient, typically on ascent it happens with less need of 'intervention'. Jaw movement/deglutition are usually all that's needed to ease it up, because you might experience a slight residual sensation of muffled hearing (which should never reach discomfort or pain). As long as you can equalize without issues, whether it happens very easily or you have to give it a gentle push (figuratively), there's nothing to worry about, imo.

Divers need to actively equalize on descent, but generally not on ascent. The reason for this is that on descent, you need to pressurize an air filled space to make the middle ear at the same pressure as ambient, and that requires pushing gas up the Eustachian tube. There are a number of methods for doing this, and some people do it more easily than others.

On ascent, the gas in the middle ear just flows along a pressure gradient easily out of the ear, as long as there is no anatomical or functional obstruction. Think of the difference between pumping gas into a scuba tank and letting it out.

Sometimes, there are problems equalizing on ascent. This is a "reverse block", and it is much less common but potentially more of a problem. Since descents are optional but ascents are mandatory, it is not good to be in a position of having your ascent limited by an inability to equalize the ears (or sinuses).

Here is my article on ears and diving.

Dive safe!

Your profile says you were certified by NAUI. Were you taught that in the course materials or by the instructor? The PADI course materials do not say that.

Yes, as stated, we're all different. I need no movement (jaw, etc.) as I can equalize internally. You yawn (well, on land) and hear a crackle in ears, which must be the equalizing. Then you remember how to get that without yawning. I haven't heard of anyone having to equalize upon ascent until this thread (well except for reverse block due to congestion, fillings, whatever). You always learn something new.

Your profile says you were certified by NAUI. Were you taught that in the course materials or by the instructor? The PADI course materials do not say that.
It was in the course materials I believe. I could be wrong about this but I'm fairly certain it was in the e-learning course.

On the way down you equalize. On the way up you generally do not need to equalize. If your system does not equalize on the way up, you end up with a reverse block.

I don’t have to equalize on ascent.
I wonder if looking up while ascending makes the eustachian tubes more open so the ears equalize easily. On descent we are looking down. The jaw is in cery different positions. I wonder if that makes any difference?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom