Equalization hose moisture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuck34gboro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had a tank run very low on air and thought I had a different tank and hooked up my reg and noticed the 2nd stages didn't make the normal air release noise. I took a couple breaths and breathed it empty.

To avoid a VIP, I used an equalization hose and hooked up a tank with about 1200 psi to level it out. After a few seconds, it was done and I closed the valves and purged the hose. When I removed the hose, I noticed they were cold and had quite a bit of condensation on them. I've had similar effects in some air tools after continuous use which I keep lubricated to avoid issues with moisture buildup.

Should I be worried about moisture in the hose or tank valves?

See adiabatic cooling.

Given a tank-drain situation, as gas exits the tank valve, the valve itself is cooled down and the moisture in the air surrounding the valve condenses on the outside of the valve.

As long as the tank wasn't submerged in water while it had very low air pressure inside, I can't see how any water/moisture could have gotten inside the tank. I am assuming that the equalization hose was dry inside and on both of its connections...and that the "donor" tank had dry scuba air inside (and didn't have any moisture inside of it).

If you are still not convinced that the tank is completely dry inside, why not drain the tank at the dive shop and ask that they take a look inside with you? My LDS would do this for me without charge.

Cooling causes condensation to form on the "outside" of the tank and whip from the water vapor in the surrounding atmospheric air (humidity) and as long as the air inside the tank was properly dehydrated by the compressor system that filled it you won't have a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom