EPL10/AOI housing vacuum/moisture detection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steelyeyes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On an earlier thread there was a discussion as to whether the battery in the AOI case was replaceable. It is but you have to replace the whole system, moisture strip and all. Apparently moisture sensors are not available as a single replacement part either, although the fact they're held in by double backed tape and plug in to the side of the rest of the system would lead one to think this should be an option.

I had what I'm pretty sure is a moisture sensor failure since it alarmed in an open, dry case in an air conditioned room. Unplugging the strip allowed the rest of the system to operate. I used it this way for a month. I reconnected the strip to shoot a video to send to a technician in the US. Miracle cure. It worked for another week and the failure repeated itself.

Living in Bonaire gives me limited choices for repairs. Sending the case back to the US is prohibitively expensive and time consuming. I ordered the whole system. $192 tax and shipping to my drop shipper in Miami. It will cost in the neighborhood of $50 for shipping and customs duty to get it to the island about two weeks afterward.

Good to know
Thnx

The kit arrived and what should have been a simple swap of the strip and plug it into the controller wasn't possible. Apparently at some point AOI changed connectors so the one in the kit wasn't compatible with the existing unit. I really didn't want to disassemble a perfectly functional unit over a connector.

After contacting AOi in Hong Kong I was told there is a part number for just the strip. I shot photos (macro mode on wife's TG6) and included them in the E mail and was assured that not only was the part available as a stand alone with it's own part number but that Backscatter had them. Backscatter service was CCed on the response.

I contacted the Cannery Row Backscatter service tech and between an E mail and a couple of phone calls he found the correct wet sensor strip and it's on it's way to my drop shipper in Miami. The part was $12. I don't want to think about the shipping costs. I just need the system to work.

While I've shelved my camera I've been working on my lion fish hunting skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom