Sony A6000 / A6300 meikon housing review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Took this with the 16-50 lens. had a 10 diopter threaded on. using two big blue 3100 video lights. fist time doing underwater photography, or above water for that matter. decided to use the video lights until I decided I like it enough to buy strobes.

Finally figured out why my 35/1.8 lens works SOME of the time... it can't focus through the Meikon wet dome. I did a quick photo fun-dive this past weekend while doing my RD cert and figured it out. No autofocus possible with the dome, take it off and the combo can focus easily.

Hi Just logged on and read through the many pages of very useful info - thank you all.
I trying to buy a housing for my Sony A6000
It seems the Meikon housing goes by many other names such as Seafrog/Puluz/Neewer. Can anyone confirm it is simply re-branded?
There is also a 60m housing that is bigger but I cannot get any comparison data except for the obvious.
I am also torn between 2 x strobe lights and 2 x video lights (I would prefer video lights because it is simpler as I have never used strobes before.) I particularly like the setup on the Meikon website - - 2 x 2600 lumen - is this enough? I see they have 5200 lumen lights as well.
I don't want to buy twice (i.e dropping the Video lights and buying strobes later). I am a casual photographer hence the preference of Meikon over the expensive (and large) other housings.

Does anyone have an opinion I can consider regarding the above?

Seafrog is just a different/new name Meikon uses. They also make and brand cases for others thus the others. The Meikon site sells both Meikon and Seafrog.

I would get the 60m that works for the a6000, 6300 and 6500. This way if you upgrade the camera you're still good to dive.

I use one arm for a strobe, a second for lights since I do both stills and video. I would use only strobes if I was shooting only stills, and only lights if only video. Depends on what you want to shoot.

Thanks CanadaDan. If I read correctly, the Video light may not be good enough for pictures (even at 2,600 lumens each)
I take mostly photos but if these powerful lights were good enough for photos I would be tempted to do a lot more video

I am also torn between 2 x strobe lights and 2 x video lights (I would prefer video lights because it is simpler as I have never used strobes before.) I particularly like the setup on the Meikon website - - 2 x 2600 lumen - is this enough? I see they have 5200 lumen lights as well.

I have the 60M housing with A6300 and two 5200lm lights (W42V/D36V) - it works well, but the lights are effective out to a couple feet or so (daylight, clear water). Can't speak for the 2600lm lights.

I've recently started diving and getting to the point where I'd like to take pictures under water. I have the Sony A6000 with the kit lens already so was looking for a housing. It's hard to shell out more than the camera so I have been reading up on the Meikon/Newer/Sea Frog housings (which all appear to be the same). It's great to hear they are reasonably reliable. One quick question since they now have the SeaFrog version that works with all the A6000, 6300 and 6500 series - have they changed the hinge to something sturdier? Since from reading that thread and other reviews that appears to be the weak point? I already love macro photography what would be the best lens / combo to do this with?
thanks so much.
Leslie

One quick question since they now have the SeaFrog version that works with all the A6000, 6300 and 6500 series - have they changed the hinge to something sturdier? Since from reading that thread and other reviews that appears to be the weak point? I already love macro photography what would be the best lens / combo to do this with?

The older A6300 housing and the newer A6xxx series housing use the same latch. Meikon sells a replacement part for $28. The only macro lens that fits these housings is the Sony 30mm, which I believe is kind of short for 'true' macro photography. You can also use the kit lens at 50mm, but it has a fairly long minimum focus distance. They're supposed to release a new housing soon, with interchangeable ports and new latching mechanism - you can see a preview here:

Instagram post by Meikon Underwater Housings • Oct 25, 2017 at 8:17am UTC

Perhaps there will be a macro port option for Sony 50mm or 90mm macro lenses - they already have a port for Sony 90mm macro for their A7 series housings; maybe they'll use the same port interface.

Back
Top Bottom