Sony A6000 / A6300 meikon housing review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H20doctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So you want to buy a sony A6000 / 6300 camera and take it underwater , But you dont have the cash for a $1600 to $2500 Housing .. what are the options ? well not much , the cheapest Housing for this camera in the Pro range for depth is a Ikelite ... the only other affordable option is the Meikon ..
So who is Meikon ? well i have no clue ..LOL other than they are made over in china .. where do you find a Meikon housing ..? well Ebay ... are they affordable ? yes under $200.00 .. Are they Pieces of Junk ? No
So lets dig in shall we .. the box arrived and Inside the box is the Plastic Housing , I ordered mine with the Wide angle Dome as a combo .. it was Around 225.00 american ... Here is the housing fresh from the box ..

12792110_10206264598033476_1882559627101398815_o.jpg

the case Is made Very well , and it fits the camera Very Snug and tight when you place it inside.. All the cameras functions and buttons can be accessed with the housing, all the buttons are in place.. The housing Has 2 Orings ,,, a Inner case Oring
DSC01621.JPG

And Another Oring On the Door
DSC01622.JPG

there is also a Moisture sensor / water sensor alarm in the bottom of the Housing
DSC01625.JPG

Before i put my expensive camera Into the housing I took it for a dive to 125 feet , and Made sure it was 100% good and not leaking in any way .. I built a tray for the camera and went to the hardware store and got 3 stainless steel bolts and washers to attach the Housing to the tray.. the black strip is a plastic , like Lucite , very tough and very durable ..
DSC01620.JPG

Strobes ..? the only Option i could find for this set up , is fiber triggered strobes , the housing has 2 holes to use the cameras flash when it is popped up .. I went with with 2 Intova ISS 2000 strobes , these strobes are kinda finicky, and i was having some firing issues , so I bought another sync cable for them , i run 2 cables per strobe , and mounted them over the flash port with some Hot Glue ... they work great now ..
DSC01619.JPG

I used Loc Line for the strobe arms , the other arm is the one that came from Intova ..
DSC01618.JPG

DSC01617.JPG

the Latch system on this housing Is Good , But it closes very Hard and tight , it has a red Locking Latch on the case , But after about 25 dives on the Housing , It broke... the Hinge Pin came Out of the Plastic due to stress... the Housing Has a 1 yr warranty and i contacted the place i bought it from, and they said ship it back to china for a full replacement , BUT i said screw it and fixed the latch buy upgrading it and making it better..
I removed the latch system and Used a Locking style latch like on a Scooter, I made a custom base out of Plastic and Mounted the latch onto the case ..
DSC01623.JPG

DSC01624.JPG

this latch works so much easier and better than the original latch...

As a rap up , i love this housing it does the job for the camera , and you can use the camera underwater and get great shots with it .. the Only Lens you can put on the A6000 to fit In the housing is the 16-50 lens , No other lens will fit inside the Housing , it was designed for 16-50 lens ...

Awesome H20doctor! Is there a specific reason for why you chose to not buy the Meikon bundle that also came with a tray and handle? I am considering just getting that to save me the hassle ^^

But great set-up. And good idea with testing the kit on a dive before putting in your camera. I should do the same.

i didnt get the tray setup , because i never saw it ..LOL and I knew i was going to just build my own tray setup ..

Well Damn... If i knew the meikon isn't super dodgy i would've bought it. I literally just blew 4k on a nauticam housing+ports+tray+zoomgear+stobes+videolight etc...
rip.

Well Damn... If i knew the meikon isn't super dodgy i would've bought it. I literally just blew 4k on a nauticam housing+ports+tray+zoomgear+stobes+videolight etc...
rip.

i dont think there is anything wrong with Buying the other Housings.. recsea , Nauticam, Ikelite, and sea and sea .. there durable , go deeper , have the Options for Multiple Lenses , and dome Ports , and More options for Strobes .. BUT I dont Have that Kinda Cash , or Income , So i had to buy what I could afford , and what was avail for my income.. Id love to have the Nauticam Housing , its a Well Built , Nice Housing !! ..

I have been using the a6000 meikon for a little over 2 years now. Just received some new orings from China this week. I had 1 relatively minor leak a year ago. Caught it in the camera tank on the boat before I dove it or it would have been worse! I never did 100% determine the cause. I replaced the oring, cleaned and lubed the inner oring and have 100 or so dives on it trouble free since. I am replacing the oring annually now. I have been pretty happy with it. Certainly for the price! Tight fitting is for sure! I can't even keep the uv filter on the lens!

I have been using the a6000 meikon for a little over 2 years now. Just received some new orings from China this week. I had 1 relatively minor leak a year ago. Caught it in the camera tank on the boat before I dove it or it would have been worse! I never did 100% determine the cause. I replaced the oring, cleaned and lubed the inner oring and have 100 or so dives on it trouble free since. I am replacing the oring annually now. I have been pretty happy with it. Certainly for the price! Tight fitting is for sure! I can't even keep the uv filter on the lens!
Hey Mbs!

Good tip regarding the O-rings. Maybe I should invest in some extra ones.

Since you've used it so many times - what do you think of the wet-lens dome? For the Meikon housing I can get this flip/pivot, that lets you pivot on the dome in the water. As I have heard others have had a bit difficulties putting the dome on and off in the water, I thought of getting the pivot, especially also in case I drop the dome and it disappears.

getting the wide angle on and off the housing isnt a big deal underwater , I simply put a mark on the dome where the thread pattern starts , that way when you screw the dome on it threads on immediately rather than you spinning it round and round and it not catching.. the other thing i did to my dome was i attached a clip , so when i not using it , i clip it on to my D ring

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom