Epileptic divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pipefish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a friend who is both a diabetic and an epileptic and both of her conditions are under excellent control. My question is whether diving is contraindicated for an epileptic regardless of her control or if there is a chance she may be cleared for diving. She really wants to be able to dive with her son. Any input would be great!

Thanks,

PF

I have a hunch that a Medical Mod will be buy shortly to say we don't know enough about what causes epileptcy, much less the effect of pressure changes on those with it. And a seizure even on the surface would be pretty dangerous.

No matter how well controlled, there's always a risk of another seizure. She may be able to find a doc who will clear her for diving, but does she want to take the risk of seizing underwater and drowning? She also needs to consider the meds she takes to control the epilepsy. How do they affect her on land? Check out the following link for a qualified opinion:

http://www.scuba-doc.com/epildv.htm

As for the diabetes, shouldn't be any more of a problem with recreational diving than surface sports, as long as she doesn't need to keep refueling during surface sports. That could be a problem underwater.

She really should see a doctor knowledgeable in dive medicine and just find out for herself.

Diveaholics - Thanks so much for the link; the article is pretty persuasive regarding the risks of diving with epilepsy. I've hooked her up with a quality diving doc who will assess her situation fairly.

I honestly don't know the effects of her medication at depth. I think she takes phenobarbitol. Anybody know the effects of depth on this drug?

Thanks,

PF

PS - DandyDon - Were you at DEMA in Houston? Seems like I met someone fitting your description at the DiveNewsWire booth. Am I out of my mind????

:jump:

pipefish:
PS - DandyDon - Were you at DEMA in Houston? Seems like I met someone fitting your description at the DiveNewsWire booth. Am I out of my mind????
Why, yes I was for a couple of days - wearing this hat so I could more easily connect with other SB members, yet - we were all looking at the booths so much, it didn't work well.

pipefish:
Diveaholics - Thanks so much for the link; the article is pretty persuasive regarding the risks of diving with epilepsy. I've hooked her up with a quality diving doc who will assess her situation fairly.

I honestly don't know the effects of her medication at depth. I think she takes phenobarbitol. Anybody know the effects of depth on this drug?

Thanks,

PF

Phenobarb is a controlled narcotic that can cause drowsiness. This could be intensified at depth, especially if she goes deep enough to get narced. Again, her doc should make the decision on that. I honestly don't think any doctor worth a d*** would clear her for diving. Unfortunately, the epilepsy is just too risky.

None of us here are really qualified, so talk to a qualified Dive doctor (which may be hard to find in your area). I'm sure you could find one online, though.

Tyler

pipefish:
I have a friend who is both a diabetic and an epileptic and both of her conditions are under excellent control. My question is whether diving is contraindicated for an epileptic regardless of her control or if there is a chance she may be cleared for diving. She really wants to be able to dive with her son. Any input would be great!

Thanks,

PF
Unfortunately, divers with epilepsy are disqualified even if well controlled on medications. The reasons are mentioned on this thread but in summary:

The effects of drugs at depth are not known;
the effects of higher pp02 are not known on the drug or the epileptic foci;
a single convulsion at depth is likely to be a fatal episode, even in shallow water.

To be a diving student candidate, the patient should be convulsion free off medications.

Commentary:

Often well controlled epileptics may drive cars based on criteria that varies by different states in the USA, it suggests thus that if US law allows them to put other drivers at risk of injury by driving, why can't they dive and only risk injury to themselves? That's legislation and political, and not based entirely on risk of harm. Consider that controlled epileptics are not allowed to have a commercial drivers license nor fly planes of any sort. Finally, high pp02 are associated with lowering the seizure threshold, but high ppN2 increases it, so diving on air maybe possible. Alas, there are no studies to confirm these assumptions, and for now the status is epileptics cannot dive. If enough data is collected by epileptics who do sneak dives without issues, as has been with diabetics and asthmatics over the decades, we may have enough information to get more concrete recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom