Sinus/tooth squeeze and still have numb teeth, Neon yellow Mucus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plus a big one to the suggestion to see an ENT. Find one who will discuss the whole picture with you, not just your current situation. I tell people I spent more money up my nostrils than any non-cocaine addict you wil ever meet until a patient and knowledgeable ENT got my long standing chronic sinusitis cleared up and explained the whys and wherefores with me. That was nearly 30 years ago and since then I’ve only had transitory episodes, easily treated.
As for the dental aspects, again I would see a dentist who will take the time to clearly understand your problem. Old fashioned metal fillings may be the problem, but any trapped air anywhere has the potential to cause problems.
BTW, if you are a member of DAN (and I think all divers should be!) you might give them a call and ask for the names of some local doctors and dentists familiar with diving issues.
🐸

As usual, @Duke Dive Medicine and @rsingler have it right! Sounds like classic maxillary sinus barotrauma. Generally the prognosis is good, although if there is pre-existing sinus disease, this trauma may exacerbate the underlying issues. If you have ongoing issues, see an ENT doc and maybe get a CT scan. If you feel better but are going to dive again, try equalizing in a pool.

CSF leaks are not commonly seen in this scenario. Traumatic CSF leaks generally would involved the ethmoid, sphenoid or frontal sinuses. While this may have happened somewhere related to barotrauma and diving, a pubmed search for "SCUBA" and "CSF" returned no relevant articles, so probably pretty uncommon.

I had a reverse maxillary sinus block once, and it was VERY painful. The sensation of decompresion (back on the dive boat) was an incredible relief!

Here's that story: Michael Rothschild: Nosebleeds & DIving

Back
Top Bottom