Should I have done more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This is the raw video which I shot some time ago. The objective of the dive was for my teenage son and a women (and I) to dive to a depth of about 80 feet in a mild current and drift into a shipwreck. This is a typical dive for the local divers where the boat stays around the area and follows a surface marker float towed by a diver (me) – so no anchor line to go up or down.

The lady had not dived for the last few months I think and was somewhat nervous about the dive and her overall experience was pretty thin; I don’t remember if I had ever seen her dive. We were planning to stay together in a tight buddy team, but things quickly fell apart. The dive ended with the lady aborting the dive and then losing control of her buoyancy and making a rapid ascent from around 20 ft – with the BC full and her kicking.

Before the dive I asked her if she had any issues with maybe ducking inside a wreck a little or had trouble equalizing on descent . She quickly responded that she was fine with that and can typically descend quickly with no issues. I made sure to tell her we were going to stick together in a tight team.

In reviewing the video, I was somewhat disappointed that I did not handle the situation better. I was not mentally prepared for the rapid dash for the surface at the end of the dive and I should have done more to prevent it.

I thought the video might be interesting for others to review and envision how they would have done things different or better (than I did). People may want to critique the lady who aborted the dive, but that is not my intent. Her problems are understandable and obvious.. mine are a little more “interesting”. I think the video might be useful in helping others have a better idea about how to help another diver.

A little more description of the dive.. upon entry and within about 12 seconds, my son tugs on the floatline and points to his ears – so he signaled that he was bailing on the dive due to equalization issues. I don’t think I have ever seen him do this before and I probably should have signaled back that I understood his problem. Then to follow up, I never looked around for him and instead kept my eyes glued on the third buddy only. I was not even sure if he was only momentarily delayed on the surface (and was coming down with us) or had aborted the dive. I should have looked around more and confirmed his status.

In my defense, he is a good diver and has redundancy, so I am not too worried about him, but I should have paid more attention to him. It turned out that he bailed on the dive immediately and got on the boat (as he should have).

On the feet first descent, it was pretty obvious the diver was not doing perfectly and when I gave a hand signal for her to flip over and swim down (instead of falling butt first) she seemed to do it.

She was having a terrible time with her mask filling with water. I could see the issue clearly, but the video does not show it that well. She was using a technique of pushing in on the top skirt of the mask and blowing. I don’t teach that method and her failure to look up hindered her ability to clear water effectively.

We got close to the bottom and she eventually got the water out of the mask and I assumed she was good to go - Even though she was still kicking in a vertical position. I turned my back on her and swam down and away about 12 feet to hook the float off, since the current was pulling on it.. I probably should not have done that either.

When I turned back around she was nervous and she surprised me with a signal to abort/go up. I added air to her BC since she was obviously too heavy and not doing anything about it. I then ignored her thumbs up signal and tried for a few moments to calm her by getting closer and touching her hand.. but she quickly gave me another signal to go up (hard to see in my exhalation bubbles) , so I responded with a big thumbs up and started kicking up and I directed all my attention to her and did not worry about recovering the float and reel.

Maybe I should not have even tried to calm her down at all, after she gave the first abort signal?

So we start the ascent, she seems calm but is still negative, She is a strong runner, so I am not worried about the slightly vigorous kicking for the ascent. After about 15-20 ft of the ascent, I look over and see the string from my reel to the float which is pulled tight and almost vertical – so I figure that is a good crutch to help us with the ascent, so I swim over to it and she follows my lead– plus it makes it less likely to get run over by a boat if we ascend under a float.

As we are coming up the line, she seems OK to me. When we reach a depth of maybe 30 feet, you can see the BC (BP/W) is full and she is holding the yellow string tightly and using it to pull herself down as we ascend (around 4:20). Looking at the video now, it is pretty clear what is happening, but I did not respond appropriately. I failed to take more control and grab her inflator and dump air.

I’m not sure exactly why, maybe I expected her to dump air - she was over weighted with a 5 mm suit and a back plate and steel tank. At around (5:08) I dump air from my BC and I think I assumed she would follow suit, but it was too late. I must have been nervous because you can hear that I initially pressed the inflate button, when I meant to dump air

I also did not expect her to pass me on the line- she seemed to be doing the ascent OK and I did not want to be overbearing. I was kinda regulating the ascent by blocking her (on the ascent line) and she went around me quickly and then she just started moving. She stopped grabbing the line and allowed her hand to slide up the line and then, she looked to the surface, decided that is where she wanted to be and let go of the line and KICKED for the surface. It was not some panicked run for the surface, but on the other hand, it was not a good decision to shoot for the surface on the most critical portion of the ascent. I should have been better prepared for this to happen, I think.

On the boat she commented: “ I never panicked before”.

In my defense, once she got away from me- I was hesitant to chase her because I had just done a deco dive about 40 minutes earlier.

When she reached the surface she immediately took off her mask and you can see me ascending faster than the air bubbles to get close to her on the surface. She was reasonably calm and followed my directions to put the regulator in her mouth. I didn’t tell her to put the mask on because I did not want to stress her in any manner. The boat came quickly.. and the whole situation was pretty much a non-event. I was not even thinking about the fact that I had the head mount camera running when this happened, but it recorded the situation pretty well.

I can’t imagine how I would feel if she had held her breath on that last bit of the ascent and was injured – or worse. I guess I should have really assumed the worst and been “in her face” for the whole ascent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=ETTDCsT1kWo

[video=youtube_share;ETTDCsT1kWo]http://youtu.be/ETTDCsT1kWo[/video]

Last edited:
There are a lot of questions and points in the post--you might want to organize/make it a little clearer. From what I remember reading:

Overall, I think you did an ok job.

In terms of the thumb signal, I think you were fine and handled it well. Thumbs are sacrosanct, but there is some leeway with newer divers. If an experienced diver gives me a steady thumb we are going up no questions asked because I know something is wrong and they wouldn't be throwing it out there lightly. If a new diver does what she does and moves her hands a lot, gives a thumb quick thumb for less than a second, but is still basically calm I would have done what you did; try to help her out, add a little air in bc, and see if she is ok--you did that, she still wanted to go up, fine, you went up. I see instructors do that all the time.

In terms of the accent, I think it just boils down to her forgetting to deflate the BC. She was kicking the entire dive--not out of nerves, but more out of inexperience as the leg strokes were very smooth. If I had been there and noticed she wasn't dumping air out of her BC during the ascent, I probably would have gotten he attention and shown her myself dumping air out of my BC. If she still didn't get it, then manually dump air for her. That last 20ft was accelerated by the air, but didn't appear panicked. She was breathing normally the whole time and just a case of her going on steady autopilot to the surface.

In terms of being in her face, you did a good job of getting in front of her and looking at her the entire ascent. I probably would have done more to stop her from getting past you, at least make her acknowledge you and give you a hand signal before allowing her to go up past you.

Overall, a good learning experience. I am glad that everything worked out well and that you are able to post this.

She was clearly uncomfortable from the start. She was falling backwards for a while at the start of the descent.

You had your hands full with the pointy sticks and the SMB. Leaving aside having your son to worry about.

Perhaps getting everyone to go down the line together would have helped, or deploying it from the bottom and so being able to attend to the others more easily.

When you got to the bottom your priority was getting rid of the reel rather than looking after your buddy. Oops.

She was obviously quite negative, and maybe still negative after you added gas as she was finning to maintain her position. I didn't see her touch her inflater to dump at all on the way up so hardly a surprise she went up so fast.

Actually I think she did the right thing. She was having mask trouble, position trouble and buoyancy trouble. She had almost no nitrogen in her and her risk was 'only' an embolism. If you don't like being there then don't stay.

Groups of three are a problem, extra stuff (camera, pointy stick, whatever) is a problem, descending without meeting at the surface, having no shot line to follow, diving with an unskilled and unknown diver. You were saturated. All these mount up.

Hindsight is almost 20/20. Since you were not spear fishing or actively filming I don't see either as a problem, especially that keeping the spear in a safe direction is second nature to one that carries one a lot.

The only thing that catches my attention is that she got past you, and considering that it was a ho hum aborted dive till then, you didn't see it coming until it was too late. I'll bet it won't happen again.

As for dropping attention from your boy, I'm also guilty of that sort of behavior with buddies I know well. It would be different if it was called as a bigger problem. May be not the best buddy procedure, but one that is used by divers that do a lot of solo. Also you had another charge that diverted your attention.

That's how you learn things, good to see everything turned out OK.

Bob

I was not there and Monday night QB is much easier than being in the game. I think that you did a pretty good job with a lot going on. At first I was thinking, "what the heck is this lady doing going butt down," but then with your advice she corrects it and had a not to bad ride toward the bottom. She appears to be doing well and I have yet to see what her problem was that made her decide to abort the dive. Please let us know. Her respiratory rate does not present like a panic diver at all. The constant finning is just like most new divers and there was no increase. I saw her clear her mask about three times but never again during the ascent. I am wondering why you put air in her BC when she appears to not be "floundering" on the bottom. You held her hand for a brief moment (a pro and boss move by the way) but then let it go. Why? New divers are much more relaxed when you make contact with them and assure them all is well. Why you did not doff the spear gun is a mystery to me. Also you might want to ask the diver what is wrong which I think that you did but it was hard to see your signals. Never checked her gauges? Anyway, I think that by dropping the spear gun or clipping it to the line, maintaining contact and assisting her toward the surface (you can control her ascent better) would have been a better choice...but I was not there. I am glad that there was not an injury. OBTW, I like the hook on the end of the reel.

From the video it looked like she was having mask troubles. It looked to me that she was clearing it near the bottom. Chronic mask flooding is a real bother to a newbie and it would explain why she took it off on the surface.

…The lady had not dived for the last few months I think and was somewhat nervous about the dive and her overall experience was pretty thin; I don’t remember if I had ever seen her dive.

<snip>

I was not mentally prepared for the rapid dash for the surface at the end of the dive and I should have done more to prevent it.

<snip>

So we start the ascent, she seems calm but is still negative, She is a strong runner, so I am not worried about the slightly vigorous kicking for the ascent.

<snip>

On the boat she commented: “ I never panicked before”.

…

Don’t beat yourself up. You can never anticipate every stupid thing someone else might do.

Did you have any misgivings about her skills watching her conduct herself onboard or gearing up? I notice she is a runner, is she a swimmer?

Don&#8217;t beat yourself up. You can never anticipate every stupid thing someone else might do.

Did you have any misgivings about her skills watching her conduct herself onboard or gearing up? I notice she is a runner, is she a swimmer?

It was clear to me that she was nervous before the dive. We tried to support her. She was borrowing a steel tank and had only used an aluminum before, she was using a borrowed mask that she never used before, we were sorta guessing on her lead, she had no gloves and said her hands never get cold - so I said she needed to borrow gloves because we were going to be diving on a wreck. As for her swimming, I'm not sure if she is a triathlete or not.

Her BP/W system fit her terribly, the weight pockets hang loosely, the waist strap is way too low, her Poseidon second stage seems to blow an incredible amount of exhaust over her left eye. She is not diving a good rig in my opinion, but once on the boat.. it would only be detrimental to her confidence to start pointing out how ill-fitting her new gear is. She went on to do another successful dive with others that day, but I did try to convince her that a different set up might make her much more comfortable afterwards.

Oh yeah, just before the dive she said she was ready and I gave her gear a very quick once over. I decided to check the inflator of her BC and it was frozen. The button is a Stainless steel CONE, which makes your finger slide off it when any pressure was applied. I had to press really hard on the second attempt to get it to inflate.. Seemed like it was a "little crusty".. probably not washed well last time... But my hands are stronger than hers, I think she might have had trouble inflating in the water if i had not loosened it up for her.

I'm not beating myself up too much, but I should have been more on my game. As for dropping the speargun... that thought never crossed my mind because things seemed to be pretty much in control.. until they weren't.

As for why she aborted the dive... I'm not sure she knows... just lost confidence and wanted to be on the surface ASAP.. as best I can tell.

Appears she has absolutely no situational awareness. She is breathing so rapidly and sinking butt first. I probably would have called off her dive as soon as she started sinking butt first with such rapid breathing. Certainly not take someone like her on a 80 ' dive..her feet kept on moving as well. She has no control of buoyancy. She is not ready to dive and perhaps should take a refresher with an instructor before doing this again. Also get proper fitting gear . Get rid of either the plate / bc and put her in a traditional recreational bcd or get rid of the steel tank if she is overweighted with no additional lead.

… I'm not beating myself up too much, but I should have been more on my game….

I guess you have to decide if this was going to be a babysitting dive or not. Even though everyone onboard would feel terrible is she was hurt, you have to make reasonable assumptions regarding skill and training. You never know if training kept her from embolizing herself or that she was just breathing too hard.

Where does it stop? Should you have taken her to some protected area for a checkout dive? Suggested she sit this one out when you saw her gearing up? I don’t have any reasonable advice to offer. On the plus side, you may have given her one of the most valuable dive experiences of her life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom