EP-08 Housing Knob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warmwater Wank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The zoom/focus knob on my EP-08 housing is missing. It abandoned me some where in the SPacific on only my 3d dive trip with it. I have gotten no where with Olympus repair (Precision Camera) for getting the part, they want me to send in the housing for an overhaul. The dealer was not able to even get a part number for the knob from Oly (I assume the rep) so that's where things sit. Knobless.

Almost any sort of knob could work, it is an external fitting that slips over a flattened shaft which is sealed internally. I have no idea what measurements would help but I have to believe somewhere there must be a knob heaven where I could get something to work. This is the part needed (see pic). Any ideas? (Short of using visegrips uw!) THANKS!// ww

upload_2017-1-18_14-38-2.png

Pedro--Many thanks, I'll give them a try. There is enough torque on the shaft it would have to be a pretty sturdy material but I'll see what they say. Thanks again. // ww

Pedro--Many thanks, I'll give them a try. There is enough torque on the shaft it would have to be a pretty sturdy material but I'll see what they say. Thanks again. // ww
sent you a PM

+1 on the 3D printing. The Aperture knob fell off my EM5 in Bonaire somewhere in the Park. Oympus wanted me to send in the camera. I found a 3D printed knob for $10, was back in business in a few days!

I lost one of the knobs from my E-M5 last and had to send it to Olympus. The knob came off again but at least I didn't lose it and glued it back on. Where did you find the 3D printed knob?

WWW If the 3D doesn't work out for you I'd have had a look at an on/off wheel from an old gas/electricity cooktop. Many of them used the screw home system, some of them had D rings which won't do the job. Tap handles might be worth a look too.

PITA using 2nd rate glue to hold key bits.

Last edited:
Well, I finally stumbled on a solution after doing a basic check and finding out the Oly housing shaft was a quite common size, 6mm. Turns out it's a standard shaft size in electronics for potentiometers and I found some on Amazon.(link below)
upload_2017-3-6_13-35-6.png
upload_2017-3-6_13-36-59.png

The replacement knob doesn't have a screw on the face of the knob like the Oly part, instead the lockdown screw is set on the side of the knob. The screw and fitting are brass however and well machined. I lubed the screw with some o-ring grease, tightened it down real good and it seems to work fine. If it ever comes off I have 4 more, cost me $6 for 5 of them including shipping! // ww
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PZSIBZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom