Entry level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JTKKavanagh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Going back in the water this year.
Still got the Aladin Pro but the last rites have been given. So what does everyone recommend?
Basic, idiot proof, usual stuff.
Zoop?
Geo 2.2?

For a couple of years I rented. Over the past 3 months or so I analyzed and read every review I could google about a beginner/novice dive computer. I even have a friend who works for Scubapro that may have been able to get me a deal. I debated and finally made the plunge. Posted a wanted Shearwater Petrel on SB and within a week bought a used Petrel 2 at a reasonable price. Yes I could have spent a few hundred dollars more but most likely I would either replace it over time, or spend $100-$200 over the lifetime replacing batteries through the LDS. Furthermore, a $200-$400 dive computer is virtually worthless on the used DC market. I have not yet dived with the P2 but heading down to Bonaire in a month. I've been on every screen, upgraded the software version via bluetooth and changed the battery. Incredibly intuitive and easy to operate. Oh yes, I reached out to Shearwater directly via email and they responded within 24 business hours. I'm looking forward to diving a lifetime with this used P2. Just my long winded 2 Canadian cents. Cheers.....

Going back in the water this year.
Still got the Aladin Pro but the last rites have been given. So what does everyone recommend?
Basic, idiot proof, usual stuff.
Zoop?
Geo 2.2?
Changing the battery on Aladin Pro is dead easy. Plenty of info in SB and you tube.
Unless you are talking about tec dive otherwise there is no such thing as entry level dive computer. My main work horse has been Aladin Pro Nitrox since 1997.

Two sets of Shearwater tables:
  • two is one, one is none, it's two or YOUR GONNA DIE!!
  • There is no computer but a Shearwater.
  • Tables never fail.
I300 is a decent choice but if you plan on diving in the dark/muck you may want to consider a shiny light-emitting screen (and the price tag that comes with it).

I300 is a decent choice but if you plan on diving in the dark/muck you may want to consider a shiny light-emitting screen (and the price tag that comes with it).

The i300 is an old model that is EoS now. The replacement is the i300C which has back-light screen, Bluetooth, etc. Excellent computer without the AI. The i300C is very reasonably priced.

No idea what their backlight is like, but if it's any good it'll drain the battery fast. I always just shine the torch on mine -- but then I only need it on night dives when I have the torch ready.

Bluetooth is fine if you download your dives to your smartphone and have the app for that. Otherwise you may need to buy a BT dongle, which, granted, is much cheaper than the uplink cables... but i300-not-C comes with wet USB connector that IMO is a better option. And all that is only relevant if you care to download your dives in the first place.

But the not-C version could until recently be had at closeout price. There may still be some around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom