Dive trip change | looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shenanigans007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,
My wife and I were planning on going to Sharks Bay in December to do our advanced open water certification through SSI in Sharm El-Sheikh Egypt. And to see the #1 destination other divers have told us to visit for the last 10 years. Given the circumstances nearby we will have to reschedule this trip for another year. Looking for suggestions short notice for budget friendly locations that we can also achieve our advanced open water training. My personal preference is for SSI certification but I understand fully the similarities between SSI and PADI.

Favorite spots so far: Grand Cayman, Curacao

We usually dive about 10 times every other year and think that furthering our education is a must with the gaps between dive trips (diving is expensive!)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We travel light and only bring fins and a mask.

Thanks,

Looking for suggestions short notice for budget friendly locations that we can also achieve our advanced open water training. My personal preference is for SSI certification
Not recommending, but providing as an option since you mentioned budget friendly, AOW, and SSI:

Dressel Divers in Cozumel (at the Iberostar) or in Bayahibe, Dominican Republic - they have many locations - offers "free" AOW and "free" nitrox and discounted dive prices when booking some type of package online. I have only dived with them in MX (PDC and Coz) and would say from that experience, there are positives and what some would say are negatives (schedule, length of dives, big boat.) Not sure how other locations operate and not all locations are typically recommended dive locations (such as Punta Cana and Puerto Plata in DR.)

As a suggestion, St. Croix, USVI is nice in Dec. The water is warm. Nep2une Scuba in Frederiksted is right by the pier and a good op. You can dive the pier with a guide, but can go on your own which cuts the cost quite a bit. Easy way to get a lot of dives in around an AOW course. Should dive it a few times at night as well as during the day.

As an FYI, as you narrow down dive ops, wherever you go, check how they offer their AOW course. Some may offer it only as an e-learning course - not a bad thing - just best to know before you go.

A direct flight from New York to Honolulu takes ~ 10 hours each way and can usually be had for less than $1000 depending on dates (try one day before and after etc). I buy that ticket several times a year, Hawaiian Airlines flight 50 and 51, and the most recent, was $780. I know less about the routes to Cozumel or Caymans but I kind of doubt it's radically cheaper. A number of shops on Oahu train via SSI, PADI, SDI, ...

Just got back from Sharm El-Sheikh Egypt. We also had concerns before we went but felt safe the whole time. Everything we do has a measure of risk. Diving is probably more risk than visiting Egypt.

Hello,
My wife and I were planning on going to Sharks Bay in December to do our advanced open water certification through SSI in Sharm El-Sheikh Egypt. And to see the #1 destination other divers have told us to visit for the last 10 years. Given the circumstances nearby we will have to reschedule this trip for another year. Looking for suggestions short notice for budget friendly locations that we can also achieve our advanced open water training. My personal preference is for SSI certification but I understand fully the similarities between SSI and PADI.

Favorite spots so far: Grand Cayman, Curacao

We usually dive about 10 times every other year and think that furthering our education is a must with the gaps between dive trips (diving is expensive!)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We travel light and only bring fins and a mask.

Thanks,
Are you refering to the shark attacks?

If you are concerned about the situation at the border but still wish to go to Egypt, I would recommend heading further south.
Within my diving community, Mowenpik El Qasar has an excellent reputation, particularly with their dive center (Extra Divers).
You will need to fly to Marsa Alam Airport.

Alternatively, I enjoy Bonaire; I truly appreciate the atmosphere, and they also offer reasonable prices.

If you're interested in seeing whale sharks, another option I would personally consider in your situation is the Maldives, specifically the Boutique Beach Hotel in South Ari: Boutique Beach

Thank you for the great info and I will keep each suggestion in mind for future dive opportunities. We have decided on Utila and Roatan. We found flights for >700$ and a dive shop that give complimentary stay (bunk room) for AOW course goers. We will do this for a night or two to humble ourselves and get the vibe of the resort. 6 days diving Utila 3-4 days Roatan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom