Entry-level Computer with a depth alarm and conservative algorithm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-Kira-

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello !
I´m looking for an entry level Dive Computer that works well for low bubble diving with a conservative algorithm and depth alarm because I want to dive Nitrox in Air mode (a deepstop would also be desirable or other added safety features).

The reason behind it that I want to be rather safe then sorry on holiday particular if there is no chamber nearby.
Other then that I wanna use it back home in Germany so the strap has to be long enough or an extension strap available plus use with thick gloves possible.
It doesn´t has to be a watch style computer and my buget is around 250 Euros but I like to spend a bit more if there is nothing suitable for that.

Sadly the Puck Pro Plus, Smart or Quad doesn´t have a depth alarm.
Is the Suunto Zoop Novo a good choice then?

Thanks!

As far as I know, the Zoop Novo has all the features you are looking for. I know it's predecessor, the Zoop, had them all, so I assume the Novo does as well. I dive the Vyper Novo, which does.

You say 'entry level,' and specify deep stops as a desired feature. Do you plan to utilize the computer for decompression diving? If not, deep stops are irrelevant and won't offer any added safety margin to a typical recreational dive within no decompression limits.

You may also want to do some research on deep stops in general (assuming this thread doesn't fall down that rabbit hole on its own) as there's a fair amount of experimental data that suggests deep stops are not only not beneficial, but possibly less safe than following shallower decompression profiles. As I said, I suggest doing your own reading on the topic, because some folks are pretty passionate about one side of the debate vs. the other. The entire topic is basically irrelevant if you intend to stay within NDLs however, since you should never be making any more than standard safety stops.

The Scubapro Aladin line meets your requirements, though I'm not intelligent enough to say how conservative the algorithm it uses may or may not be. I know the older Aladins had adjustable microbubble levels, not sure if they still have that feature.

Your right, I don´t know enough about deep stops and decompression but I used a Suunto during the PADI AOWD and if I got the instructor right we did a deep stop during the 30m dive or the Suunto beeps for an aditional safety stop about half way of the ascent and the instructor called it deep stop.

I´m joining my local dive club this spring to simply learn more and do the CMAS Silver Course with them in our local lakes.
They also take the theory very serious so I´m sure I´ve got enough chances to ask questions like this or they cover it anyway, even CMAS isn´t teaching decompression diving on paper but in reality they do if your ready for it.(But they teach decompression theory and the latest data for sure)

(I joint SB and not Taucher.net because it´s not really possible to ask a question like this there because the conversation always ends with if your not a CMAS certified diver you don´t know what your doing and then you would´t ask a question like this.)

The most important point is to be as safe as possible if I want and to have the depth alarm.
(I´m aware that using Nitrox in Air mode is a controversal topic as well but my insurance Aqua Med recommends it if you want to stick to low bubble diving)

Suunto is a conservative computer. Probably what you're looking for. I've owned a couple of them. That being said, the latest Suunto computers are not for me. Too conservative. The first Suunto I owned (SME ML) was based on old recreational/Navy tables and it was fine for all of my dives (~200). Never pushed it and never had a problem. Had no bells or whistles, but I had to be responsible for my own diving (no alarms).

Also owned a Vytec DS a while back. Didn't like it. It was too conservative for me, especially on repetitive dives. I was coming up about 10-15 minutes before my buddy and other divers in the group even with a lenient setting. I was never one to push a dive limit but I didn't like it, but that's me.

Today, just about every computer is more conservative than the old rec tables. Personally, if you want to go conservative, that's great. Safer is always better... But if you're diving a conservative computer you must always follow it or get locked out. If diving a less conservative computer, you can always add in your safe buffer i.e. diving a 21% O2 setting while diving nitrox OR just ending your dive earlier (need discipline). Some computers have a more conservative mode that you can choose (my preference).

As for depth alarms, and alarms in general, on my computer, I shut them ALL OFF except for the No Decompression warning. At first I thought "Great!" alarms for everything... I can't stand all the beeping/buzzing underwater. I think it's unnecessary. I don't rely on the alarms, rather I try to be always aware of my environment, knowing what I'm doing, where I am and what my limits are for the dive I'm on. Probably more old school habit than anything else. YMMV.

Whatever computer you end up with, check them all out and make the best decision for yourself. Whatever you choose, be safe! Hope this helps.

Below are some good reads to start:

Dive Computer Algorithms – What you need to know!
Liberal vs Conservative Dive Computer Algorithm - Scuba Diving Gear

As for Deep Stops within NDL, some computers will ask you to set up a deep stop, which is different than a decompression stop. If you do a deep dive (whatever that is), some computers will allow you to do a "deep stop" at certain depth (~ half depth) to slow down your ascent and "off gas". I have one on my computer which will come up and advise me to do a deep stop. I have it set up but I don't normally follow it. It is advisory. No penalty on the algorithm if it's ignored.

If you go onto DAN and research it... At one time it was advised (Pyle, who felt better when he did it) then some "experts" came out and said it wasn't clinically proven yet as to what it will actually do. The "experts" had said just doing a very slow ascent and your 3 min safety stop is adequate for normal dives. I will add to my safety stop when possible, adding another minute or two, esp if fun to be in the water. I think the key is slow deliberate ascents to give your body time to off gas. Everyone is different.

Mares computers running their version RGBM is listed in the manual that it will recommend a deep stop if the dive profile warrants it, but I don't remember ever seeing it do so even if I went deep. It could be because I don't push my NDL and ascend slowly.
Mares are also pretty conservative and there are cheap models.

I need to correct my previous post. I checked my wife's Zoop that she uses as a backup and it does NOT have the deep stop alarm. I did look up the Zoop Novo manual and it appears that it does have it. Not that it is really needed for recreational diving as others have indicated, but it is there.

Hi @-Kira-

You have the right idea, learn a bit more about deco algorithms before you make a decision on a computer for your no stop diving.

I suggest you set the computer for the nitrox mix you are using rather than setting it for air/21%. This will track your oxygen exposure accurately. Most or all computers will give you an alert as you approach the MOD for your nitrox mix and again when you exceed the MOD. This is probably better than a depth alarm, though many computers have that also.

I would skip any version of a deep stop for your no stop dives, as the benefit has not been demonstrated and it may shift your nitrogen loading. Rather, I would concentrate on making the ascent at the recommended rate. In addition, do your 3-5 minute safety stop and make the final ascent in a slow, controlled manner.

You have considerable control over the degree of conservatism of any computer you might use. You can choose a more conservative setting on the computer itself. Alternatively, you can choose to stay farther away from the NDL on any dive you make. You can make a liberal computer more conservative. You cannot make a conservative computer more liberal.

Best of luck in your computer purchase

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom