Enough lift?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, that is how at least Hollis and Oceanic rate their BCDs according to the owner. The lift quoted is only when it does not have anyone using it!

Are you factoring in if one or the other has a wing failure and one of them needs to get the other off the bottom in a controlled manner? I recommend 35 lb to 40. lb.

ams,

No I'm not factoring in a wing failure. You can only take redundancy/backup systems and "factors of safety" so far. A total spontaneous wing failure is hard for me to fathom. A wing failure shouldn't be catastrophic in a properly weighted diver anyway and you should always have the ability to ditch weight in a true emergency.

boat

If you drop a 22 lb belt at the bottom the chances are the diver is going to shoot to the surface pretty fast and the buddy will not be able to control the ascent. I can imagine a wing failure if the inflater gets damaged. In the DIY section there are threads from people that damaged the fitting holding the inflater to the BC, so it does happen.

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2013 at 09:31 PM ----------

No, that is how at least Hollis and Oceanic rate their BCDs according to the owner. The lift quoted is only when it does not have anyone using it!

I think that is how most manufacturers rate the lift of a BC. Although I remember Dive Rite switching to more conservative numbers.

ams,

We're probably both getting too hypothetical and assuming different things. I usually dive with a weight ratio of maybe 60/40% belt to trim pocket. So I could dump a trim pocket and be ok. You're right, I wouldn't want to drop my 22# belt. It's possible that the OP is still considering a weight integrated bc - so we're off on a whole different tangent.

Anyway, it's all good stuff to think about - I hope.

boat

Back
Top Bottom