Emblem removal....does it matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I don't like anyone's name on any of my gear. With the prices I pay for it, I'm not advertising for anyone! And it's no body elses business what brand of gear I use.

That said....does anyone know if the plastic Halcyon emblems and/or the OMS embroidery patch have glue underneath as well as the stitching? I really want the emblems off my gear but I don't want to leave a nasty looking glue patch either. I've thought of coloring them in with permanent ink but want to try to remove them first.

Guess I should also ask if taking these emblems off, especially off the Halcyon wing, will interfere or void the warranty?

... and one of them is:

Taking the labels off might hurt resale value... (which in the case of Halcyon gear on ebay can be a right profitable business. :D)

That said and to your question specifically:

In the case of a Halcyon emblem it is stitched to an overlaying piece of fabric on the Pioneer wing and you could remove it successfully I'm sure... but it might indeed cause a warrantee issue.

An now to satisfy my curiosity:

Do labels and emblems really bother you that much???
Have you removed them from your clothing and cars already???

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
... An now to satisfy my curiosity:

Do labels and emblems really bother you that much???
Have you removed them from your clothing and cars already???

Yes, labels and emblems do bother me. To me they are ugly. And yes, I remove or have the dealer remove their emblems and/or stickers before I leave the lot with a vehicle. I can't do much about the ones from the manufacturer but those don't bother me. And I don't buy clothes with logo's on them. If there is an embroideried patch on clothing it is snipped and removed when I get home. The occasional dive T-shirt is the exception but only if the logo is a small pocket size.

Just call me strange!

Thanks for the info.

I occasionally remove emblems just to keep my buddies (and wife) guessing if I have new gear or not. I removed the patches from my OMS wing with no ill results. Just stitches, no glue..

Dee,
I knew there was something I liked about you. I have similar opinions regarding branding and labeling. Subtle branding is OK but being a bill board is something else. Quality speaks for itself.
I have refused gear that is too garish. Occasionaly the shop or manufacturer will offer the item to me for free or at reduced cost when I tell them I'm not going to be a walking advertisement for them.
This all goes back to a previous life as a bass fisherman. My sponsers wanted me to wear patches head to toe and stick their stuff all over my boat. The amount of real estate I would make available was directly proportional to the $'s they invested.

Why are you so vain as to remove labels from kit ?
that is the strangest thing I have ever heard. Who cares what you paid for it.
Removing the emblems may well void your warrenty and will certainley decrease the resale value of this kit.

I took the logo off of my Halcyon Pioneer and there is a little glue behind it. I was fine with that one, but when I put the BP pocket on and had the pockets...4 bright blue and white logos on a suit where everything else was black was a bit much so I took them all off. I don't really see selling the stuff, and if I do it would be to friends/buddies who know the value.

Tommy

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
Why are you so vain as to remove labels from kit ?
that is the strangest thing I have ever heard. Who cares what you paid for it.
Removing the emblems may well void your warrenty and will certainley decrease the resale value of this kit.

I'm not vain about my gear...how funny. I just don't approve of manfacturers attaching their logos to merchandise I pay for. If they want after sale advertising, they will get that by word of mouth IF it deserves it. The price I pay for gear isn't the point other than the fact that if manufacturers expect me to advertise for them by wearing their logos, they can compensate me by lowering their price. If these logos aren't advertising, why is so much money spent on endorsements to high profile athletes who will wear the products?

I feel this way about logos on everything. Maybe it's minor and petty...and strange... to others but to me it's just a feeling of being taken advantage of. It's not earth shattering, just a personal thing!

Oh, and resale isn't an issue because I plan to keep the gear.

Dee, if the effects of resale ever become an issue for you, keep me in mind.... I'll take it! I too remove adverting from things I buy.

Dee once bubbled...
Oh, and resale isn't an issue because I plan to keep the gear.
But I must admit that if it didn't look to be a hassle putting the logos back on I would remove the ones from my Halcyon wings as they are garish imo.

On the other hand...

Not only do the original emblems up the value of certain items...
If you still have the dealer sticker in the window of your garage kept 1963 corvette split-window coupe... happy are ye... :D

Back
Top Bottom