Emblem removal....does it matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee,

I, too don't like logos on my stuff. However, the only thing I have ever insisted on is the Dealer name on my cars. They take it off or they pay me $25 per month for advertising rights. When confronted with a little advertising contract when buying the car, they have always removed the emblem. They don't believe you are serious until you present the contract to them. Interesting isn't it?

I just don't approve of manfacturers attaching their logos to merchandise I pay for. If they want after sale advertising, they will get that by word of mouth IF it deserves it. The price I pay for gear isn't the point other than the fact that if manufacturers expect me to advertise for them by wearing their logos, they can compensate me by lowering their price.

I feel that the manufacturers have the right to put any and all logos they feel fit to on THEIR equipment. Just because you purchase it does not mean you have the right to deface it so to speak. Just like software you own it and can use it to your hearts consent, but once you modify it you are breaching your license agreement. Just my .02cents. You might want to read the manual and maybe even check with a sales rep.

Now please don't take this the wrong way .. but Dee do you pay www.scubaboard.com for displaying your Dee-Rags link in your Sig?

PS: I am not trying to get in a fight here .. I was just curious.

The software is licensed for your use; you don't own it. The dive gear you buy is your property, and is entirely under your discretion.

Dee, I feel the same way you do about obnoxious advertising.

I agree with obnoxious advertising, but I think some take it too far. For instance, I will not buy a shirt like Tommy Hillfiger, because I don't like the "walking billboard" look of their shirts. However, I do not think the patch on my Halcyon wings is overboard. It basically comes down to if you do not like it, don't buy it. If you want to remove the name, then do it. The manufacturer has every right to put it there, but you have every right to remove it. We still have property rights in this country, although some people are trying to do away with the property rights, but that is an entirely differnt subject.

Dee, I do have a question though, when you purchase a wetsuit, what do you do about the names on those? I have yet to see one that does not have the name rather large on it somewhere. Also, I would stay away from Dive Rite wings if I was you. The name is painted on the wing! lol...:wink:

I was using software as an example .. and yes you are correct about the fact that you own it and do what ever you want to the item in hand. I don't like the "walking billboard" type of advertising either, but a little patch here and there doesn't bother me. If it did I wouldn't buy it.

Dee once bubbled...

I'm not vain about my gear...how funny. I just don't approve of manfacturers attaching their logos to merchandise I pay for. If they want after sale advertising, they will get that by word of mouth IF it deserves it. The price I pay for gear isn't the point other than the fact that if manufacturers expect me to advertise for them by wearing their logos, they can compensate me by lowering their price. If these logos aren't advertising, why is so much money spent on endorsements to high profile athletes who will wear the products?

I feel this way about logos on everything. Maybe it's minor and petty...and strange... to others but to me it's just a feeling of being taken advantage of. It's not earth shattering, just a personal thing!

Oh, and resale isn't an issue because I plan to keep the gear.
Here here! :clapping:

I, too, make a point of avoiding garish logos when I make purchases. And I think that if there is vanity involved, it is on the part of the manufacturer, not the end-user. As for resale, it's my stuff. If I want to alter it, that's my problem.

(Hey NINman, is it okay to add a patch that says I'm a divemaster to my undergarment? 'Cause using your software analogy, that would be in violation of the licensing agreement. If not, what's the difference between adding and removing stuff?):rolleyes:

2cents

Dee-it is funny-I also will not wear logos on clothes, but for some reason I did not apply that to scuba stuff!

I think I don't mind it as much, because the logos add a little visibility to my otherwise black gear. (I am thinking of my black wetsuit) I wish I could get Halcyon gear in blue! (or at least with some kind of visible stripe)

Ken

that there are logos on scuba gear. Doesn't bother me at all that gear comes with them attached. The two cons to removing them to me personally are A: as mentioned earlier the resale value drops significantly and B: unless you do a real good job of removing it and not just slapping an ugly piece of tape over them or scribbling them out with markers it looks like crap IMO. I'll admit some logos look like crap too but doing a poor job of removing them looks worse IMO.

danceswithoctopus once bubbled...

(Hey NINman, is it okay to add a patch that says I'm a divemaster to my undergarment? 'Cause using your software analogy, that would be in violation of the licensing agreement. If not, what's the difference between adding and removing stuff?):rolleyes:

2cents

Well here I go to fight agenenst the bashing I am taking with my "software analogy". Do you use the same Windows background that came with your PC or are you using some other one? It is called customizing. But then again taking the emblem off of the nice new wings you just bought is also called customizing.

I wasn't saying anyone was wrong with their choices, I was just bringing up a point that manufactures can and will use their products for advertising. On a marketing stance they would be STUPID not too.

JamesK once bubbled...
.....Dee, I do have a question though, when you purchase a wetsuit, what do you do about the names on those? I have yet to see one that does not have the name rather large on it somewhere. Also, I would stay away from Dive Rite wings if I was you. The name is painted on the wing! lol...:wink:

James...I won't buy one of the wetsuits that have their name running the length of your body, such as Henderson. O'neal isn't bad as it's a small pirate head center chest.

I know manufacturers need to advertise their stuff and I'm not anal about it to the point of avoiding quality gear. As you say, they have a right to put it on there. But when I pay for it that makes it mine and I'll do what I please with it and to it...simple. Someones software analogy doesn't apply.

One reason for asking this question in the first place was IF I remove the logos I spoke of, I want to do a good job of it. If they are glued on as well as sewn, I'll leave it, as the ratty looking glue would be worse then the logo to start with.

by Nin-Man...I feel that the manufacturers have the right to put any and all logos they feel fit to on THEIR equipment. Just because you purchase it does not mean you have the right to deface it so to speak. Just like software you own it and can use it to your hearts consent, but once you modify it you are breaching your license agreement. Just my .02cents. You might want to read the manual and maybe even check with a sales rep.

Now please don't take this the wrong way .. but Dee do you pay www.scubaboard.com for displaying your Dee-Rags link in your Sig?

PS: I am not trying to get in a fight here .. I was just curious.

Dive gear and software is apples and oranges. When I buy any gear, as soon as I pay for it, it is MINE to do with as I wish. I understand that depending on the item, some modifications made by me can and will nullify a warranty. That's a choice I will make when I research the warranty.

No...I do not pay ScubaBoard for displaying my Dee-Rag link. That priveledge is part of my membership but if they chose to charge for that priveledge, it would be paid on a trial basis dependent on business traffic produced from that link. Again, this is apple and oranges and has nothing to do with whether I remove offending logos on my gear.

Ok folks...I'm done. All I asked is whether there was glue under the logos...thanks UP for your answer. I didn't ask for your approval and don't need it nor do I seek understanding for my personal phobias. So ya'll carry on this discussion among yourself while I get my scissors out and cut a big ol' nasty hole in my wing! :D

Back
Top Bottom