Electrical contact cleaner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Clark Diving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am having connection issues with my Poseidon Seven and am wanting to clean the contacts in the fisher cables. I can’t get Deoxit on Guam since they won’t ship by air. Home Depot has cleaners made by WD40, CRC, and Klear Concepts. Would
any of these be OK on a rebreather? Any one better than the other?
Thanks!

IMG_1036.jpeg

I don't know anything about re-breathers, but WD40 is not a cleaner, nor a lubricant, though it's often used by well intentioned people as such. WD stands for "Water Displacement", and it's a decent rust penetrating oil that's useful for cleaning up stuff.

Problem is that it leaves a residue that turns "gummy" which in turn has to be removed. It's used by many people for purposes it wasn't designed for, sometimes with very poor results.

Either of the two products in your picture above would work on electrical contacts, note the "no residue" statements on each label.

I use deoxit gold.

If you use any "regular" contact cleaner make sure to o2 clean it later if it's going to be anywhere near your loop.
Not (only) for a fear of oxygen fire but because high partial pressure of any solvent gets you really, really high.

WD40 makes an electrical contact cleaner, which is different than the stuff we all grew up with. All the electrical contact cleaners at Home Depot say they leave no residue which is why I was thinking they may be ok around high oxygen content. However, I don’t want to use a cleaner if it isn’t compatible with O2 since there is no way I can O2 clean the connectors once they are contaminated.

Would it be wrong to use a contact cleaner from HD and then follow up with a degreaser, like Simple Green Extreme or Blue Gold?

I use the crc stuff on most projects. IDK if it will clean off saltwater corrosion though.

If it doesnt, I would try vinager and a toothbrush. Be sure to rinse everything after

Hi
As the contacts are not in a HP environment, why would you want them to be O2 clean?!

Hi
As the contacts are not in a HP environment, why would you want them to be O2 clean?!

The usual practice is to ensure that everything inside the loop is as clean as possible because it contains the gas you breathe. As pressure increases with depth, so does the partial pressure of whatever chemicals you used to clean / lube inside the loop.

There is also a practical aspect. If your supplies are suitable for O2, then you don't need to worry about mixing in non-safe components. That's one of the reasons why people may choose to use only O2 safe lube in places where silicon could work.

Back
Top Bottom