Electonic Log Books Not Accepted!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am visiting the Caribbean for work this week and stopped by the PADI hut at the resort to get some information about their dive operation. I explained that I had my C-card and regulators with me but no other equipment.

The DM I talked to asked me if I had my log book. I explained that I only maintain my logs on the computer but could print out a table of my past 60 dives that contains all the same information as a typical log book. I was told that it is company policy that standard paper log book be presented or pool checkout dive costing $20 must be made prior to registering for open water dive. I asked if I could make a call to my local dive shop and have them vouch for me. I was told that this would not be acceptable and that they needed to see a paper log book.

Has any one else ran into a similar problem?

I'd tell them to screw off, and find somewhere else to go.
Not accepting electronic logbooks is ridiculous.

Sounds like they're more interested a $20 checkout than customer service. Print it out, then it is a "paper log book" If they don't accept that then take your business elsewhere.

Now, there's a new and creative way to fleece a diver out of an extra $20...
I agree with Sparticle, 'cept I'd have more to say than just 'screw off'...

stevead:
Sounds like they're more interested a $20 checkout than customer service. Print it out, then it is a "paper log book" If they don't accept that then take your business elsewhere.
heh, that's what I was thinking .. print it out :wink:

Well I might be spending some alot more time down here so I do not want to piss off the small local dive community to much.

If you look at it logicaly what is harder to fake, a paper log book or an electonic log? I will plee my case again with another hopefully more logical DM once I get my scheduled figured out.

BKP:
I agree with Sparticle, 'cept I'd have more to say than just 'screw off'...
Many times here on ScubaBoard I can't say what I really want to due to the TOS. :wink:

Not wanting to tick anyone off is a good strategy, but please also remember that if you're planning to spend more time in this place, what you do now, with this situation, will set a precedent for how you allow yourself to be treated in the future.

I support those who've said "print it." Then it IS a printed log, and if that doesn't meet their requirement, give more thought to your future! You shouldn't accept shoddy treatment in the beginning and hope things will improve - they won't.

What the heck is a "standard paper log book" anyway? I log all my dives, in a blank notebook with no profile info, no pressure groups, no accumulated bottom time. What I do know is date, blend if using nitrox, max depth, time, temperature, what I saw - supported with lovely little pencil drawings, signatures of buddies on "important" dives, and if I have students with me I include their names and pertinent details related to their training. There are several dives in my log from Cozumel that say "Paradise." If you've been to Paradise, you'll know that that pretty much sums it up! If someone tried to tell me that that wasn't good enough for them, I would take my diving elsewhere.

kari :blinking:

While I think it's ridiculous for a shop not to accept an electronic logbook, especially from someone with a C-card, I can also understand how they could be requesting it for their own safety. I mean,.. with electronic logbooks, they could be 'shared' on line, so you don't know about their validity. Secondly,.. it doesn't hurt a shop to be sure that the diver is up to date with his dives, and not going to kill themselves while wearing the shops equipment.

Don't get me wrong, they're probably trying to fleece divers out of $20 instead of protecting themselves, but it's an argument they could use.

eclipse785:
While I think it's ridiculous for a shop not to accept an electronic logbook, especially from someone with a C-card, I can also understand how they could be requesting it for their own safety. I mean,.. with electronic logbooks, they could be 'shared' on line, so you don't know about their validity. Secondly,.. it doesn't hurt a shop to be sure that the diver is up to date with his dives, and not going to kill themselves while wearing the shops equipment.

Don't get me wrong, they're probably trying to fleece divers out of $20 instead of protecting themselves, but it's an argument they could use.

except for the fact that hand written does not make it a valid log

Back
Top Bottom