El Terado Terrace hotel on Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jameseg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody have any experience with this hotel? I'm looking at visiting Catalina over the Labor Day weekend, and this hotel appears to have availability and be a good choice for my non-diving in-laws. But a couple phone calls and emails over the last few days regarding a question have gone unanswered. Has anybody on SB stayed there?

Thanks,
James

No experience with El Terado Terrace.

We stayed at the Catalina Lodge last week. It was pretty basic, no frills lodging. My non-diving spouse would have preferred a place with more frills. The owner is fussy about wet dive gear in the rooms as they just re-carpeted, but she made an effort to accommodate wet gear outside. I simply moved everything that wasn't dry into the shower at night to prevent theft. The owner seemed to appreciate my efforts to respect her property.

-AZTinman

Thanks for the recommendation, AZTinman. I'm traveling with my diving spouse and five non-diving relatives, including two kids. I'm ok with just about anything, but I think a few frills would be nice for the non-divers, who will probably spend a decent amount of time at the hotel. Tried to call El Terado again last night and still nothing. Seems like a sign that it's time to move on to plan B.

James

For anyone reading this thread, we got ahold of the hotel over the weekend and are booked up for Labor Day weekend. Can't wait to dive Catalina again!

James

I haven't been in the El Terado Terrace since the 70s so couldn't offer any opinion. Hope you have a good experience and enjoy the diving.

Thanks, drbill. I always think of Catalina fondly, as I spent time there for three summers at the CIMI Sea Camp in Toyon Bay, about 20 years ago. Will be my second time visiting since then.

The good news is that El Terado appears to have updated their rooms since the 70s!

CIMI... great program. They took over our lease in 1979 when the private school I taught at for 10 years folded. My nephew went to CIMI in 2000 and loved it!

We stayed at El Terado Terrace earlier this week -- we just got back. I would not recommend it over other hotels (not that I have experience with other hotels). We had some problems, to wit:

1) the area immediately outside our room (we were in room 106, top left room as you come in) is a smoking area, and also a hang-out area. We like quiet, and we don't like smoke. Also it's a high-traffic area.

2) I found the bed very uncomfortable. I did sleep OK in the end. It did not have fitted sheets, it had flat sheets, so the sheets kept coming up.

3) Some of the light bulbs were out.

4) In the shower stall (no tub, therefore hard to rinse your dive gear) there is no place to put your soap, etc. The result is a minor flood after using the shower since you have to reach out to get your stuff while the shower is running. Doesn't anyone think about this stuff?

5) Since our corner was a high traffic area, we had to keep the blinds and windows closed all the time. Too bad since the weather is so nice there, a breeze would have been nice.

6) We tried the get help to get a cab for the next day but it seems that there is no night manager, the day guy (Ivan) is very nice but no one can work all the time so after hours you're on your own.

Back
Top Bottom