El Paso.....Where the hell is that!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was TDY to Ft Bliss a couple years ago and took my dive gear so I could go do Balmorhea. About half way there, I came up ...to of all things....in the middle of the desert....an immigration check point.

So this guy says, "where you going?"

I say, "Diving."

You should have seen the expression on his face. Then I pointed to the dive gear in the back seat and told him Balmorhea and he let me pass.

Only in America.

UndrWatrDan:
Balmorhea State Park is east of El Paso about 3 hours on i10. Check out the link: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/balmorhea/

Water temp is 73 yr round and vis is usually around 100'.

You're also not far from Cozumel for a weekend trip.
That state park looks awesome(a little shallow but dig the water temps. Do the Swamp Divers do some campout and dive get-togethers? Cant wait to have the Trailer behind the truck again! We PCS to Dyess(Abilene) on 1 June, just have to find a house.
Abilenians.........where to look for house close to Dyess, 10-15 min drive, with good schools and nice neighborhoods(where RV's are tolerated)......

mrjimboalaska:
Do the Swamp Divers do some campout and dive get-togethers?

Yes we do! Come join us sometime at Clear Springs, close to DFW area. My husband and I camp out (RV)and dive there several times a year. We'll go back there to dive in late March thru around mid November...then we camp out in New Braunfels (central Texas close to Austin) in the winter months,usually around Christmas and Spring Break (I'm a teacher.) Nice, warm 72 degree temp water year round in the Comal & San Marcos Rivers, and Aquarena Springs (special course you have to take to dive there, but it's worth it) There are several dive events at Tyler State Park (which is very pretty, and worth the trip just for the scenery) throughout the year, and we usually camp for the weekend. So, lots of dive and camping opportunities in Texas- just join in! Check out DiveLocal.com for Tyler State Park events (usually a cleanup/rodeo/prize giveaway during May/June and Pumpkin carving/marshmallow relays during October.) I know there are many other dive shops/clubs that also host events where camping is part of the fun. Hang around Scubaboard and Swampers and we'll get you going, Texas style.

txdano:
Spade, there are worse places you could end up besides El Paso. Wait a minute...
nevermind. :)

ROFLMAO! That just made me laugh!

Well, I guess I can look on the brighter side of things and log some dives in higher than 61 degree water, get some lake experiences (I wonder what the surf is like :) )

Thanks for all the help guys/gals. I didn't expect this much info in just a few hours!

txdano:
Spade, there are worse places you could end up besides El Paso. Wait a minute...
nevermind. :)

Yeah, you could be in Lubbock, Abilene, or Jerrell (threw that one in there since they're constantly rebuilding from the tornados that hit there on a monthly basis)

Just think, the next place you go after El Paso is gonna seem like heaven.

Spade:
Okay, I live in Orange County, Ca. I got the idea to go into the reserves in Nov. They got the idea to call me today and tell me there's a good chance I could be in El Paso, TX by the start of the summer. "crap"

Is there anything to dive in that area? Or am I going to have to become a vacation diver?

Thanks.

WOW, you must have drawn the short straw.....but on the brighter side....Mexico is at your doorstep and Tequila is cheap:D plus your closer to the Caribbean and trips to Cozumel can be pretty cheap....welcome to Texas:wink:

Spade:
ROFLMAO! That just made me laugh!

Well, I guess I can look on the brighter side of things and log some dives in higher than 61 degree water, get some lake experiences (I wonder what the surf is like :) )

Thanks for all the help guys/gals. I didn't expect this much info in just a few hours!
Then you can get the coveted PADI "Lake Diver" cert! (after proper training and small fee of course)

Spade, its not all that bad, SoCal is only 10hrs drive from El Paso :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom