Diving near El Paso,TX.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhubacek0914

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Me and my GF are still new to diving. We live near El Paso, TX and really have not had much experience diving, and we want to start making a priority hobby. We would like to take a couple of lake dives near El Paso area when we can’t make a big trip just to keep our skills up and get some great practice in. Does anyone know, Is there any lake near El Paso (other than Balmorhe) that provides a decent or good view of the underwater life. I would say a good 20-30ft visibility at least?

Welcome to our world, congrats on the cert!

That is a very good way to look at diving, with regard to continued practice. I don't know how many divers I've seen that only dive on vacation one time a year. For most, that really isn't enough to develop/maintain skills and safety. Good on you guys for recognizing that early.

That being said, I feel like I may have to help you manage expectations about visibility in Texas lakes. I don't know that area specifically, and their may be some spots with vis that good, but most lakes you're lucky to get 10 to 15ft of vis, often times less.

That's not to say you can't still have a great time underwater though. It actually will make you a better diver being comfortable in less than ideal conditions. Then when you go on those clear water dives, you can appreciate them even more.

Have fun, be safe, dive often!

Welcome to our world, congrats on the cert!

That is a very good way to look at diving, with regard to continued practice. I don't know how many divers I've seen that only dive on vacation one time a year. For most, that really isn't enough to develop/maintain skills and safety. Good on you guys for recognizing that early.

That being said, I feel like I may have to help you manage expectations about visibility in Texas lakes. I don't know that area specifically, and their may be some spots with vis that good, but most lakes you're lucky to get 10 to 15ft of vis, often times less.

That's not to say you can't still have a great time underwater though. It actually will make you a better diver being comfortable in less than ideal conditions. Then when you go on those clear water dives, you can appreciate them even more.

Have fun, be safe, dive often!

We are scheduled to do our very first real dive in key west in the beginning of June. We are looking forward to it for sure. But we were just trying to find a spot near by where we live that we can really just go out and practice on our off time. We are really wanting to make it a huge hobby to do and I think if we can continue practicing our buoyancy control along with other things would really help us in our adventure

We are scheduled to do our very first real dive in key west in the beginning of June. We are looking forward to it for sure. But we were just trying to find a spot near by where we live that we can really just go out and practice on our off time. We are really wanting to make it a huge hobby to do and I think if we can continue practicing our buoyancy control along with other things would really help us in our adventure
I have never been there, but you might check out the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, New Mexico.

I have never been there, but you might check out the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, New Mexico.
It's about a 4 hour drive from El Paso. Those of us diving in another site nearby had someone stationed in El Paso make the trip regularly.

The Blue Hole has the advantage of great visibility. It is 85 feet deep, and you can usually see top to bottom. The water temperature is about 62° F year round. It is only about 60 feet across at the top, but it is more like 100 feet at the bottom.

Other than Balmorhea, the Blue Hole and other lakes around Santa Rosa are pretty much the only options in that part of Texas. Puerto Penasco on the north end of the Sea of Cortez is an 8 hour trip.

I grew up in Las Cruces so not far from you. I wasn't a diver at the time but all the water sources I know close by have pretty bad vis based on swimming them.

It's about a 4 hour drive from El Paso. Those of us diving in another site nearby had someone stationed in El Paso make the trip regularly.

The Blue Hole has the advantage of great visibility. It is 85 feet deep, and you can usually see top to bottom. The water temperature is about 62° F year round. It is only about 60 feet across at the top, but it is more like 100 feet at the bottom.
I’ve heard of the blue hole. We may just stop by there and try it out. Sounds like a great spot to dive. Thanks for the info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom