Where to go that is not SE Asia or Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saudi Arabia. You can ride from wadi to wadi, visit Hegra and the Forbidden City, and spend a night or two on the road. Start and finish in Jeddah. You can dive and your partner can peruse the old city or the promenade.

I second the idea of New Zealand. The Poor Knights islands are rated one of the top ten best dive spots in the world. They speak English and your dollar is worth about NZ$1.60. 12 hour flight from Los Angeles. The only negative is we drive on the left side of the road.

Dive Tutukaka is a well respected dive operator with four boats ranging from small to huge. Their dive boats also allow snorkeling and Kayaking for non divers.

Anyone have any thoughts that is not Mexico, Caribbean, Thailand, Vietnam, or similar?
Indonesia and Philippines are in SE Asia and they offer much much better diving than Thailand and Vietnam.
Pity it is wet season in Bali.
The only negative is we drive on the left side of the road.
You meant the proper side of the road in NZ.

I haven't dove the Azores, but I hear the diving is good. However, I've gone to Terceira twice and its spectacular! Whale watching, hiking, caving, birding, rappelling, and I'm sure you can rent motor cycles and drive all over. There are natural pools formed from lava, a 14th century city, and tons of seafood. The town is a UNESCO world heritage site, and the place is a photographers dream.

We did a week in Malta in mid-Feb and it was fantastic, but we can only do that so many times before we both start to get "bored" of the area above sea-level. Maybe bored isn't the right word, but there's only so much to cover in 308sq.km.

Gozo

You've seen Malta, but the diving in Gozo is even better.
While you're off diving, I will entertain your wife. You'll both have an amazing holiday!

I'd definitely recommend the Azores - it's like Europe's Socorro. Fabulous viz, amazing pelagic life. Don't expect coral reefs, but you do get amazing volcanic underwater terrain with swim-throughs, caves and arches. Whale-watching is big business, but environmentally strong. Dolphins of several types, and chance encounters of all kinds of cetaceans and pelagic fish. I saw a Sei Whale, Bottlenose Dolphins, Atlantic Spotted Dolphins, Common Dolphins, Barracuda, Bigeye Tuna, Blue Sharks etc etc. Out of the water the volcanic landscapes are incredible, and there are even wine tours! Highly recommended if you're East Coast US, or Europe-based, as flights aren't too long.

Video from my trip is here, which should give you a taster:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom